Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak at Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak at Timing Chain

OK, so I had a shop in houston do a bunch of work for me. Since then I have developed a pretty steady oil leak out of the front area of the engine. I had a shop here in NC take a look at it and they told me that the timing chain seal was leaking, which would be covered under the warrenty from shop number 1. I called shop number 1 and asked how to get it fixed since it is under warranty. They asked for a picture of the leak (below). The owner of the shop said that the leak is due to a freeze plug that has went bad. He told me that it is commom when these reach my kinda mileage. Has anyone heard of this. Seams kinda wierd to me, that a freeze plug would leak oil. In my experience those are reserved for the cooling system not the oiling system.

Notice the line of oil coming down from the bolt.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak at Timing Chain-imag0116-383x640-copy.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Um, yeah, that guy is full of BS.
Freeze plugs leak coolant not oil and they dont leak because of miles, they leak because of age, they rust and then leak.
You dont say what year your truck is...but it ain't old enough for a freeze plug to leak.
Have the 2nd shop call the 1st shop and tell him what the problem is and that he is full os sh!it and they need to cover the repair.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. It's a 99 Disco II, but I have been less than impressed by Shop #1. Already had to redo half of thier work.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Here is exactly what shop #1 said about the photo

"Dean just like i explained to you, by the oil filter you should see a steady stream of oil, it leaks more while driving...

ON the pic you can see the stream of oil by the oil filter upper area, there are two plugs in there they look like freeze plugs, those plugs get loose from age and start leaking, if it was the gasket, the oil leak would be farther behind the oil filter...

to correct the oil leak, and be certain look at those freeze plugs, i will take pic monday and email you what im talking about, look at yours and i guarantee you its leaking from the plugs.."

Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

Oh, I get what he is saying now, he is talking about the engine oil cooler line blanks.
The omitted the engine oil cooler on some DII's, the lines came out of the timing chain cover and went to a cooler, one supply and one return line.
The holes are still there, they just "blanked" them with bolts, those can wiggle loose over time and leak.
Find them and snug them back up.
They are not freeze plugs, he is using the wrong terminology.
You can even remove them, put some teflon tape on the threads and screw them back in.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That first shop is full of bs....

Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Oh, I get what he is saying now, he is talking about the engine oil cooler line blanks.
The omitted the engine oil cooler on some DII's, the lines came out of the timing chain cover and went to a cooler, one supply and one return line.
The holes are still there, they just "blanked" them with bolts, those can wiggle loose over time and leak.
Find them and snug them back up.
They are not freeze plugs, he is using the wrong terminology.
You can even remove them, put some teflon tape on the threads and screw them back in.
Spike, that's what I thought when I read it: oil cooler line blanking plugs.... but his 1999 D2 should have an oil cooler and hoses. My 2000 has the cooler and hoses. LR didn't get rid of the cooler until later years.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

An obscure reference in the RAVE for cooling system on D2: page 26-2-3

Engine oil cooler (Only applicable to vehicles
up to VIN 756821)

Of course, this does not preclude some one removing the oil cooler on an earlier model due to damage, etc.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Spike, that's what I thought when I read it: oil cooler line blanking plugs.... but his 1999 D2 should have an oil cooler and hoses. My 2000 has the cooler and hoses. LR didn't get rid of the cooler until later years.
Yes and no, supposed to be there and actually being there are 2 different things.
Some DII's have them, others do not, even years that are supposed to have the oil cooler dont have them.
Rover did alot of funky stuff with the DII that makes no sense.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Can someone shoot me some pictures of what we are talking about?

Quick Reply: Oil leak at Timing Chain