Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light in the dash lighting up occasionally? I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light in the dash lighting up occasionally? I need some advice

After accidentally redlinning my 04 disco the red oil light lit up about 20 minutes later. I got home and pulled the truck over to check the oil level thinking maybe its low. Well according to the dipstick there is plenty of oil in the reserve. I fired the engine up right after doing this and the light disappeared. Is it a fault sensor or am I missing something cause the engine is running fine.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand your oil light comes on and you kept driving? It sounds like according to your trial by fire that your sending unit is bad but get your oil pressure tested. There was a guy over on Dweb that had the same issue and everyone said it was fine and then he blew his engine the next day.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up whow

Originally Posted by bulldozer32
After accidentally redlinning my 04 disco the red oil light lit up about 20 minutes later. I got home and pulled the truck over to check the oil level thinking maybe its low. Well according to the dipstick there is plenty of oil in the reserve. I fired the engine up right after doing this and the light disappeared. Is it a fault sensor or am I missing something cause the engine is running fine.

how do you accidentlly redline a 5500lb DII? especially a 04.....Mines a pig and i cant even imagine driving one faster than 80 miles an hour....

Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bulldozer32
Did it light up and stay on? If so - rut roh...

If you drove with the oil light on you may be in deep do-do. You will be real lucky if it is the sending unit. As mentioned - get a real gauge on that puppy. Personally I would park it and get into that oil pump. tic-toc...

The oil light should NEVER come on. Ever.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Drifting
Default I redlined it due to:

I was driving it *semi automatically* meaning i would shift between first second third and drive. I was pulling onto the highway in second and floored it to get passed a semi and i hit roughly 5000 rpm. I didn't hit 7000 rpm. I was speeding to get home cause I had to drive my mother due to a medical emergency.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 5,000 rpm did nothing, you cant hit the redline because the rev limiter will not let you.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Drifting
Default well i drove the truck today with no light and no problems

I drive to school (i'm 18 and in highschool by the way) and I drive from D.C. to Bethesda Maryland daily. The engine ran fine with no problems but I called my go to service manager and he told me that the oil pump gear might be cracked. I am going to take the truck in Saturday to have them take a look. He said that if the pump gear breaks entirely I am looking at an entire new engine and I do not want that to happen. Personally I am thinking about selling the truck. Its out of warrenty at the end of the month and I had the car apraised at roughly 7 grand. I bought the thing for 15k back in 2006. What do you all think I should do. Sell it and buy a used LR2 or LR3 or keep the Disco I have.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Be careful with the dealer, once he opens it up you have no options, so consider having some one do an oil pressure test after it has sat over night. First check when cold at idle then at 2000 RPM's then repeat when the engine is warm. By doing this, you won't have to pay to open up the engine and you will know what is going on for a lot less $$$$'s.
Get back to us with the 4 oil pressure numbers so we can help you.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Drifting

thanks Mike! Will do. At the moment I am sitting in a Spanish 3 class with a sub teacher so essentially I have a free period. I love this forum!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Hey Mike quick question how much would you estimate the cost of a new oil pump + labor costs?

Quick Reply: Oil light in the dash lighting up occasionally? I need some advice