Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light - now you see it, now you don't

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light - now you see it, now you don't

I've got a 2000 D2. When I start it, the oil light comes on, stays on for about 5 seconds, then goes off. It just came on while driving ( engine still cold) for about 5 seconds, then goes away. Pulled over to type, engine is warm, no noise btw, oil light is off.

She's got plenty of oil in her - is this an indicator that my oil pump is going? No check engine light, no device engine soon lights.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First thing is to get a reading on your oil pressure, I wouldnt drive it untill you do. If the numbers are bad then your pump is suspect unless you have a zillion miles and your bearings are worn out.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 94svt50
First thing is to get a reading on your oil pressure, I wouldnt drive it untill you do. If the numbers are bad then your pump is suspect unless you have a zillion miles and your bearings are worn out.
Thanks for our response. I'm hoping that it's not bearings. Still a valid test to drop the oil pan and look for copper shavings as an indicator or spun bearings?

Also, is there a tool that I can try/buy, to measure oil pressure?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Oil light coming on except at start up indicates weak pump or very thin oil. Switch is like 7 PSI operating point. Engine is starving for oil. Very serious.

You should change oil and filter also as a precaution, should be running 5W40 this time of year.

You buy a oil pressure test gauge, remove the oil switch, which activates at 7 PSI. Screw in test gauge with suitable adapter (it has a long hose on it). Crank truck. Write down reading cold idle, then rev to 2000 rpm, write that down. Wait until fully warmed up, repeat. Expected minimum for a D2 is 10 PSI idle, 50 PSI 2000 rpm hot.

Normally oil is so cold and thick that filter goes into bypass when started, and you will read high as you are seeing all the pump can do, with no filter drop. As oil warms, pressure drops, and filter begins to pass the oil. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My guess is going to be you are using the wrong motor oil.
What oil are you using and when was it lasted changed?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Oil is at perfect level. 5w40 changed about 2k ago, but it was about 4 months ago. I havent driven it much lately.

It only came on for about 5 secs while the engine was cold. It happened twice within 2 minutes of starting once, when I started it for the first time for th day - completely cold. The second was about 2 minutes/.5 mile later. Each time it was a solid (not blinking) light tt lasted 5 seconds, then went away.

I'm changing oil shortly anway. I'll check Autozone ir
NAPA for an oil pressure tester.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It would be solid, as it is a simple switch turning on a light, not a monitored sensor (like temp). Normally it is on when you first crank up, first as a test (no pressure = light on), then pressure pops up quickly, and light goes out around 7 PSI. My oldie with same weight oil turns light out before the other test lights go out, but I'm warmer. Yes, people can have a bad switch, grounded sensor wire (loose won't do it). Pix attached of switch location, some D2 don't have oil cooler. Unnatural for Disco to be this clean, IMHO.

But the possibility of a lurking engine killer is always there, since Rover decided to spend more on the security system than the oil pressure gauge. The cracked oil pump will still pump, even make more than 10 pounds. But not enough, and can be a source of the tick. Which makes you watch the other gauge.

Attached Thumbnails Oil light - now you see it, now you don't-oil-pump.jpg   Oil light - now you see it, now you don't-wallet.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 oil switch.pdf (426.2 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

new oil and filter

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a D1 guy and have somewhat similar problems. My oil light actually flickers, but only at low RPM's and only when warm.

I have my Rotella Diesel and oversized Napa filter ready to go. I shall see if this cures my problems. Thoughts?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, go rent a oil pressure tester from a local parts store, may need to buy an adapter so you can screw it in in-place of your oil pressure sender. Then on a cold start, test the pressure at idle and 2000 RPM's again when hot at idle and 2000 RPM's and get back to us with the 4 sets of numbers.
As for the weight of oil causing this, won't happen during the cold months so take your oil/weight and brand out of the picture for now.
Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Oil light - now you see it, now you don't