Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gasket...

Had the local Rover Indy shop replace a couple of gaskets a couple of weeks ago, including the oil pan gasket which was leaking a little bit. the shop had previously done work I wasn't that impressed with, the gasket replacements was the second chance. now the oil pan gasket leaks quite nicely. not taking the truck back to that shop. it now leaks from the sides towards the front and through some of the bolt holes. and now there's a leak at the rear part where it mates up with the ?thingy?, and there appears to be no gasket or sealant there, just metal on metal with a nice leak.

coupla questions... can I re-use the new-ish gasket that's on there (2 weeks old)? should I pull it, RTV it and seal it back up? can I RTV that rear part that mates with the ?thingy?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

If it's the rubber type.....thin layer rtv each side and reuse
If it's cork style ..... Trash it.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
Had the local Rover Indy shop replace a couple of gaskets a couple of weeks ago, including the oil pan gasket which was leaking a little bit. the shop had previously done work I wasn't that impressed with, the gasket replacements was the second chance. now the oil pan gasket leaks quite nicely. not taking the truck back to that shop. it now leaks from the sides towards the front and through some of the bolt holes. and now there's a leak at the rear part where it mates up with the ?thingy?, and there appears to be no gasket or sealant there, just metal on metal with a nice leak.

coupla questions... can I re-use the new-ish gasket that's on there (2 weeks old)? should I pull it, RTV it and seal it back up? can I RTV that rear part that mates with the ?thingy?
Pull it and RTV the crap out of it. Make sure too align the rubber dowels on the gasket with the holes in the pan. You'll see what I'm talking about you when go to re-fit it.

Sounds like they did not align the rubber dowels. Lack of attention to detail on the installers part.

I'll admit, I mistakenly missed aligned one of the dowels and developed a little leak once. I just shot a little RTV in the void and sealed it right up

Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Winching

thanks guys. so I pulled the pan and gasket yesterday. all of the dowels were lined up properly, just no sealant on it. pulled it, cleaned it, sealed it up with gray "right stuff", re-sealed and, as of today, no more leaks.

btw- how the heck do you get those rubber gasket/seal things back on? they're at the rear of the oil pan, where it mates with the bell housing. tried like crazy to get that thing in, could not do it.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you talking about the rubber covers that let you access the converter bolts, one on each size about 1.5 in dia. replace them they never fit after they have had oil on them the swell

Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Winching

it sounds like those are the ones. replace sounds good, don't really want to be rolling around with those open and water and road gunk getting in there. thanks...

just found them on AB website, they're known as "Oil Pan Grommet", for future reference.

Last edited by jamestfl; 02-25-2015 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drowssap (02-26-2015)