Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Light flickered on two times

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016 | 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling

The easiest way to install an oil pressure gauge is with a sandwich adapter.
Search is your friend.

Old 06-16-2016 | 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, change the oil first thing. If you take it to a non-Rover shop they will probly throw a fit about the diesel oil because they don't know what they are talking about. Diesel oil is just designed to clean more aggressively and helps reduce wear, which is why it's perfect for these trucks. I recommend either Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 or Rotella T6 5w-40. Many folks run the Rotella T 15w-40 because it's cheaper, but my vehicles sounded like absolute garbage when I ran it; I didn't even make it to 3000 miles before I changed back to the synthetic T6.

Sandwich adapter is an easy way to install a pressure gauge. It tells you the pressure going into the filter, which can be useful for positively identifying low oil pressure.

The big oil filters are really not a good idea. They have a higher pressure oil relief valve, which fools sandwich adapters into thinking the oil pressure is high, when in fact the engine may well be starved of oil on the output of the filter. No one has really done the work to figure out how they are affecting oil pressure AFTER the filter. However, a member of this forum contacted the company who makes the filters, and their engineer said we shouldn't be using them with our trucks.

The following users liked this post:
LarryZ (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016 | 09:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LarryZ
I don't want to plumb in an oil pressure gauge but how else will I know if it was the oil?
I am a firm believer in being able to see actual readings and not depend upon idiot lights to tell me when it is too late.
Change to recommended oil and no more flicker may tell it was the oil. Normal way to check pressure when problem suspected is to remove warning sensor and temporarily install a test gauge.

The big oil filters are really not a good idea. They have a higher pressure oil relief valve,
The larger filter can add to your total capacity. Some of the mfgs of the "big" filters have alternate filters/PNs with same or different specs as LR spec for relief pressure.

LarryZ (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016 | 12:20 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by LarryZ
Thanks for all the ideas.
When I went and brought the 'lil one (as my wife calls it) home, I talked to the mechanic about the issue and he said it was probably a crankshaft bearing shifting which was common on these vehicles.
I haven't seen anything mentioned about this "common" problem - Crankshaft bearing movement - is it really that common an issue?
If a bearing slip is causing the problem, wouldn't the oil pressure light come on more often than twice in six weeks?
I do not know what oil was put in it prior to purchase. Would it be worthwhile to flush the system and install new oil?
It's camshaft bearing that walks, it's a common problem and causes low oil pressure.

LarryZ (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016 | 12:32 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by abran
It's camshaft bearing that walks, it's a common problem and causes low oil pressure.
Requires oil pan removal and a look up at cam bearing to determine. There has been one or more threads within a year hear that includes photos of one 'walked".

LarryZ (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016 | 07:06 AM
|
Overlanding

I guess I got a little "cranky" at the news and it changed what I was hearing. A camshaft bearing makes a heck of a lot more sense.
Dropping the oil pan would open up a lot of possibilities - clogged inlet, loose tube, missing "o" ring etc.
I guess I have the next two steps -
2. Add a sandwich adapter and monitor the PSI
3. Drop the oil pan and look.
I appreciate the help. It's been a long time since I worked on an engine and that 230 cu in SOHC 6 was easy.