Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil pump

Here's the preceding parargraph of the TSB:

Oil pump failures on 2003 Discovery Series II vehicles may be the result of a
manufacturing error. Locating dowel pins may be slightly misaligned permitting
assembly
of the oil pump to the engine block, but placing stress on the pump housing
which can ultimately lead to leakage or failure.

I'm sorry, but when a manufacturer admits a manufacturing error which puts the ultimate consumer into a situation where, in order to effect what could easily be a normal repair, he or she, per this TSB, is required to purchase an "additional part" i.e., an engine block, in order to insure a sastifactory and effective repair, then I have a problem with that. That's my opinion - no more - no less.

In my view, its a matter of the manufacturer stepping up to the plate and taking resposonability for their own "manufacturing error" - not handing the consumer a hot potato/ticking time bomb betting on a certain percentage of failures outside their original warranty/financial liability period. Why should an entire class of consumers be left wondering whether they have an "oil pump" problem?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No arguement from me there, I was just saying that the block didn't have to be replaced in all instances.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Maybe I'm just a little slow, but I'm still trying to understand whether or not just replacing the pump BEFORE it fails would prevent it from happening in the future, OR will the DESIGN of the whole thing make whatever pump is there eventually fail.

Also, did this screw-up only happen to SOME of the motorswithin that VIN range, or ALL of the motors in the range?

The Land Rover dealer in Asheville, NC told me that it only seemed to happen inRovers with 50,000 miles or less. If that's true, then it would indicate that maybe some of the motors gotthrough without manufacturing errors.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Different Drummer

The Land Rover dealer in Asheville, NC told me that it only seemed to happen inRovers with 50,000 miles or less. If that's true, then it would indicate that maybe some of the motors gotthrough without manufacturing errors.
Boy I hope so. Our 03 Disco II has around 65,000 miles and falls within those Vin #'s.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That just sucks.
Knobcents first tsb mentioned tolerances, which I take from the second tsb as location of alignment dowels -- in the block.
if so, when you put a new pump ***'y on, you would then torque the sh%t out of the housing upon tightening.
Hence, you may not rectify the problem with a new front cover only, that just sucks.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
4wd Low

You're not slow - this TSB is downright confusing. Read the TSB ten times over if you have to: The oil pump is not defective - the engine block is! And "front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances" means simply that the front cover/oil pump assembly installed on these engines at the factory are not manufactured to the "latest" tolerances. And that could mean alot of things. Like these front covers were somehow "adjusted" at the factory to compensate for the misalignment caused by the defective engine blocks. Which would mean even if you wanted to replace the oil pump/front cover as a preventitive measure, you can't - unless - You Replace The Engine Block!

Hopefully we are now beginning to understand fully just how Insidious this situation is! Look at all the possible scenarios created by this "manufacturing error". They all involve replacing the engine. You want to replace the oil pump as preventitive maintenance -You need a new engine. Your oil pump fails but the engine doesn't - you need a new engine. The oil pump fails and the engine fails - you need a new engine. There is no scenario under which you don't need a new engine. What I want to know is: who
pays for the new engine! Its a "Catch 22" where unfortunetly most cases will be resolved by the "oil pump failed/engine failed" scenario at the the owners expense. And you can bet that's what Land Rover is banking on.

Having said all that I want you to sit down and think very carefully about what I am about to say. When the oil pump fails, Land Rover owes you a new engine. Why? Because, due to their "manufacturing error" they have put You, the consumer, into a position where, under any
conceivable scenario going forward, you are going to need a new engine. It doesn't matter whether the oil pump fails prematurely due to misalignment or normal wear and tear. You still need a new engine. Warranty or no warranty, their error has directly caused you to need a new engine. Its not a matter of If, its a matter of When. Taking that thought one step further: Whether the engine self-destructed or not at the time of oil pump failure becomes totally irrelevant. Because it doesn't matter - it makes Absolutely no difference - in the final outcome: you still need a new engine. I'm not a lawyer but, I strongly suspect the essence of the argument or legal issue would boil down to something like this: Why should the maufacturer (Land Rover) of a defective engine block which requires replacement soley due to oil pump failure be put in a better or improved postition with respect to liability when the failed oil pump is attached a destroyed engine as compared to one which is not - because in either case the engine block will still require replacement according to the manufacturer's own Techinical Service Bulletin.

I think if you own one of these affected vehicles you need to think very carefully about the implications of Land Rover's TSB. As an Owner, its a pretty lousy position to be put into through no fault of your own.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree.

I wonder if their has been any past litigation per this situation.

I own an 03 and if this was facing me with Land Rover making no attempt to remedy the situation, you better believe I'll be contacting a lawyer.