Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump failure 2000 disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:47 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default oil pump failure 2000 disco

I have been doing a lot of research and have decided to have a go at fixing the land rover 4.0 instead of doing a diesel repower. All the advice from disco mike and spike555 made me rethink my inital impression of the rover engine. Here is what is still bugging me, I talked to auto sports unlimited here in zeeland and they told me as far as they are concerned the oil pump on these engines is the weak link. They told me that its not at all uncommon to see oil pump failure on the distributorless ignition engines. Aperently the oil pumps that where driven off the distributor were a better set up from a durability stand point. First off do you guys agree with this conclusion? If so, would it be worth trying to put the old style front cover and pump on one. Now before you guys all blast me off a reply telling me it can't be done, I'll be the first to admit I have no idea if that is even possible to do. I know I could build an idler shaft assembly to go in place of the distributor to drive the pump, I'm just not sure what other clearence and sensor problens I would be creating. The only reason I'm even discussing this is if I go to a bunch of trouble fixing this engine and it blows up in another 100k I will be royally ticked. So what do you guys say, is this really a problem with these engines or am I making mountains out of mole hills.

Old 01-15-2009 | 01:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: oil pump failure 2000 disco

The 4.0 in general isn't the problem, it's only the 2003 models. The problem with the engine isn't in the oil pump itself, it's a problem in the engine that causes extra stress on the oil pump which causes it to fail. Basically, don't buy an '03 DII, or if you do and it's inside the VIN range for the failure, change your oil pump at regular intervals (I think like 60k? Anyone add to this?)

Old 01-15-2009 | 01:24 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I am aware of the 03 problems, but it looked like there was a fairly high rate of oil problems in general with these engines. As I have been surfing the web I've found several discos my vintage with oil pressure problems or no oil pressure at all. Disco mike did mention an issue with the pick up screens getting plugged if I remember right, if that is the only cause of oil pressure failure I assume good synthetic oil changed regularly would keep the gremlins at bay.

Old 01-15-2009 | 01:34 PM
Administrator

Never assume when it comes to a Rover

Old 01-15-2009 | 01:39 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Now your scaring me, are these things perminently demon possesed or what?

Old 01-15-2009 | 01:46 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I should explain why I'm being so **** about dependability. I have dreams of a trip to the denali national park in Alaska. So what I really wantto know is will a stock 4.0 take me on a 12000 mile trip into the wilderness and back with any degree of dependability, I really don't want to hitch hike back.

Old 01-15-2009 | 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Absolutely it will. All you need is a well cared for truck. And for the most part, yes, good quality synthetic oil changed at regular intervals will (for the most part) keep the gremlins at bay. I'm not familiar with that particular trip, but I'd bet yes, a Discovery will take you through that with relatively few problems. Just make sure your truck is well cared for, bring plenty of spare fluids, a few rolls of duct tape and plenty of tools, and you shouldn't have many problems. Obviously I can't guarantee nothing will go wrong, but I firmly believe that LRs are ideal for things like this.