Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 05:53 PM
4wd High
Default RE: Oil Pump Failure

Brand new to the forum folks,
I have an 04 disco with an oil pressure problem as well. LR dealer has it apart and LRNA is asking for oil change receipts which I have provided. My unit is not within the vin range on the TSB however. LR has said they may 'particpate' in the repair of the oil pump but have not addressed the issue of a new motor yet?
Any updates??etc?

Old 09-10-2008 | 07:16 PM
Team Owner

You didnt say how many miles were on your truck, but if all they do is replace the oil pump it will fail again at about the same mileage.
I would push for a new engine but wouldnt hold my breath.
Unless you drove with the oil light on for more than 30sec youshould be ok with the engine that you have.
Lets say you have 50,000 miles now, they replace the oil pump. In 45,000 miles get it replaced again. Then in another 45,000 miles...you get the idea.
Best of luck to you.

Old 09-10-2008 | 07:59 PM
Rock Crawling

dose the light beep when it goes off?

Old 09-11-2008 | 05:50 PM
4wd High

I have not heard a beep when the light goes off. The vehiclle has 63,000 miles on it. Oil changes at 5000 mi consistently. Have not heard from LRNA today but am hoping for something. Light flickered at idle one day then did not see it again till following week. HAd car taken to my independent shop to change oil and replace sending unit. But did not obviously fix problem. Towed to LR.

Old 09-11-2008 | 07:35 PM

It's very interesting that after all the talk about the TSB and its VIN range, now it turns out that as some miles are racking up on the newer models, the same old problem is beginning to show itself again. Does that VIN range really mean anything?

Old 09-11-2008 | 07:40 PM
Team Owner

This is a very good point, this is the second '04 with this problem that WE know about.
Is this another fine example of Ford quality? Or were these engines built on second shift on a Friday? Or maybe first shift on a Monday?

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:56 PM
Winching

My service guy said they can't do anything preventive because it is just a technical alert. I am trying to get them to at least check out the pump to make sure it is in good shape. He said you will definitely be covered for the rest of the warranty. But I would rather deal with it now, then wait till it expires......

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:11 PM
4wd High

Does anyone knowhow many people haver been affected by this issue and how many LRNA actually helps? Would be nice to know before I start the hard part of my negotiating. Any news on the couple posts I saw about a class action suit? Itmay notapply to those vehicles outside the VIN range anyway. I do find it curious to have the same problem on the same motor as the '03 after they said they 'fixed' it. Also anyone know if you can use a buick shortblock to start rebuild?

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:08 PM
4wd Low

Per the technical alert you just need to replace your entire engine assembly. It only costs $12 grand and is a quick fix, your LR dealer can perform in a months time.

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:18 PM
4wd Low

VIN Range[/align][/align]TECHNICAL ALERT [/align][/align]March 14, 2003 TA03 1201 [/align][/align]NAS X US Only [/align][/align]Cda Only
ATTENTION: Service Manager Service Advisor Technician [/align][/align]
2003 Discovery Series II Oil Pump Failures [/align][/align]Vehicles Affected [/align][/align]Discovery Series II (LT) 3A771801 – 3A808362 [/align][/align]Situation [/align][/align]Oil pump failures on 2003 Discovery Series II vehicles may be the result of a
manufacturing error. Locating dowel pins may be slightly misaligned permitting
assembly of the oil pump to the engine block, but placing stress on the pump housing
which can ultimately lead to leakage or failure. [/align][/align]Resolution [/align][/align]Whenever an oil pump failure is encountered on vehicles within the above VIN range
the only effective repair currently available is replacement of the complete engineassembly including the front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances.
Use the following components to affect a repair: [/align][/align]• LBB112301 4.6 Engine assembly LEV
• LBB111461 4.6 Engine assembly NON-LEV [/align]

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Failure