Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Default RE: Oil Pump Failure

http://www.roverlandparts.com/2003-2...y48kmiles.aspx
Its not a 12k fix. You can do it for under $5,000 including labor. Any mechanic can install a new or used engine.
And Ford sold LR over two months ago.

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:56 PM
4wd Low

Seeing Ford purchased LR in mid 2000 and released a technical alert in March, 2003. I would have to say they are mostly to blame for how this oil pump / block defect was managed or should I say miss-managed. Should a class action result one might say it was managed well by the Ford Co. Now some company in India in stuck with the problem and costs. Anyway you look at it things are boiling up & consumers who get stuck with the bill only have one company to blame. Ford should not be cleared from their shady ways just because they sold the business 2 months ago.

Old 09-16-2008 | 08:38 PM
4wd High

Somewhat good news. maybe a thawing of the frost after the sale to Tata. LRNA called today and after talking aboutwhat happens if they replace the oil pump and engine is no good, they agreed to replace pump at their cost and see what happens and discuss engine replacement at that time. Encouraging news but am worried about engine if no telltale signs right after oil pump replacement. Will try to get somesort of warranty on repalcement etc. I will keep posted. I saw roverland parts has a '04 w/ 41K miles w/ secondary air for I believe $3100. probably the best bet if no more help from LR.

Old 09-24-2008 | 12:44 PM
4wd High

Amazing news! LRNA has agreed to replace the motor! They installed an oil pump at their cost with no improvement in oil pressure and an hour later called and said they were going to give me a new motor. Out of warranty and outside of the Vin range of the TSB. Also not the original owner. I did have all the service receipts/oil change es etc.including the first 9K miles before I owned it and that was very important to have. Perhaps this is new face of LR from the new Indian ownership.

Old 09-24-2008 | 12:51 PM
Team Owner

WOW!! GREAT NEWS!! Lets hope that the new owners do a better job than Ford ever thought about doing.
Honestly, that is one of the many reasons my wife and I will not buy domestic cars, their customer service sucks @$$.
The dealers are rude,once the sale has been made the salesman doesnt care about you anymore. Their cars are crap and they wonder why they are all going bankrupt.
You should post a pic of the new engine once you get your truck back.
Not to mention that starting fresh with a new engine would be a great time to use full synthetic motor oil to keep it running like new for 100's of years to come.

Old 10-19-2008 | 03:59 PM
4wd High

Just got Disco back with absolutely no costs to me. Handed me the keys with a smile. I will try to post pics soon and will certainly use synthetic oil for it's life... though I have heard that you should usedino oil for the first few thousand miles, two changes?That is what I have done with my motorcycles.

Old 10-19-2008 | 05:17 PM
Team Owner

Change the oil in 1,000 miles and then put in your favorite full synthetic motor oil and dont look back.
Change it every 5,000 miles and all will be good.
I am very pleased to hear that you were taken care of.

Old 11-24-2008 | 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

Where can you find the list of Vin #'s affected?

Old 11-24-2008 | 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

I just discovered that my LR is within the Vin Range and showing all the classic symptoms. I called my local dealer here in NJ and was told that it's just a bulletin and they don't have to do anything for me. Doesn't mean there have been many failures and if there had been they would put a recall out. Not to sure what too do now. Feel like I'm on the titanic. Is there anyone that can lend me some advice or help?

Old 11-24-2008 | 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The VIN range is 3A771801 – 3A808362. Basically if you're really paranoid it's going to fail go get a new oil pump and keep it in the garage. Any time you're driving keep an eye on your oil light. If it ever comes on shut the car off immediately and don't start it again until you've towed it to your house and put the new pump on. Unfortunately there is no "cure" for it, you can only prolong it from happening again.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Failure