Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pump issues

Ok so I start my truck this evening and the oil idiot light stays on while idling, but goes away when I rev the engine. I only did this once and then shut off the truck (don't feel like effing anything up). Didn't get a chance to look at it due to the fact it was in the middle of a sever thunderstorm. My question is this, how hard is it to rebuild the pump (never done a pump but I have rebuild a cylinder head before) and would it be easer for me to just pull the front off the Landie to get to the pump?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Before you go that far, maybe read this https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/, consider mechanical oil PSI gauge test, and consider drop pan to exam the pickup screen.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pump issues-modp_1011_02_o-ilsac_gf5_motor_oil_standard-sludge_buildup.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Before you go that far, maybe read this https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/, consider mechanical oil PSI gauge test, and consider drop pan to exam the pickup screen.
Thanks Savannah, I didn't think about the pickup screen. I am running Rottela T but not that oil filter (I had already done the change before seeing that thread so was going to wait till the next oil change but now is as good a time as any I guess.). I'll take a look at it tomorrow and report back, got too much going on today to have time.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cracked oil pumps are far to common on the 03/04. This cracked pump gear issue seems to be a separate issue from the misaligned pump dowels that affected certain 03 models. If it was me I would pull off the front cover and replace the gears, its an easy job and you can get the gears and all the gaskets in a kit form AB for a little over $100. Changing oil weights and messing around with different filters seems like a bad idea if your pump is cracked and would be a better solution in cases of low oil pressure do to bearing wear.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

The mechanical gauge test will reveal much. You'ld have the pan off anyway to tackle the front cover. But oil light is a no drive the truck issue.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you pull the pan and when the engine is stone cold, do an oil pressure test. Start cold at idle then 2000 RPM's the again at hot idle and 2000 RPM's then get back to us with the 4 sets of numbers.
If the numbers are not good, then pull the pan and inspect the pick up screen as well as a couple of the bearings, looking for wear. If nothing there, then pull the front cover and install an oil pump repair kit found at British Parts of Utah also inspect your timing chain to make sure it is not too loose yet.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Mudding

Thanks, I did a visual inspection and didn't see any oil in the front so I started the truck today and ran the truck up to temperature and the light didn't come on. I am going to Autozone to get a pressure tester and will test it tomorrow (don't have time today to mess with it unfortunately). I am not driving the truck until I know what is going on. I'll come back with my findings when I am done. Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Before you go that far,.......and consider drop pan to exam the pickup screen.
YIKES from that PHOTO!

This is what makes me want to stick with Rotella T6 and large oil filters and regular oil changes for my D2.
That is just simple plain stupidity, and these are not asian motors you can recycle the oil in.
Wow, Wow, just Wow.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Rover owners like pictures of all the gory details, engine entrails, vehicle carnage, stuck in the mud.....

Attached Thumbnails Oil pump issues-images2.jpg   Oil pump issues-d1%2520reluctor%2520ring%2520oil%2520pan.jpg   Oil pump issues-hg%2520rear%25202.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Mudding

Okay, so did the pressure test and I have the following (mind you I bought a Sunpro oil PSI gauge that only shows increments of 5 PSI).

Cold Idle: sits between 40/45 PSI (closer to 45PSI)

I am waiting for the truck to warm up now, but looking at the RAVE this looks to be about right? I also have ordered a new sending unit and will have to figure out where I can mount this gauge when I am done.

Quick Reply: Oil pump issues