Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by adeso
Pulling the engine out Tuesday AM, I have the tech manual but is there any non standard PITA things I should look out for (have never done a rover before)? I'm going to put the engine on a stand and clean it/look for damage, any parts you guys recommend I look at closely? thanks!

Unless you drove 10 miles after the oil pump blew up.

Do not take the motor out of the truck. Put a used timing cover on the car and your done.

There is nothing wrong with your engine. The oil pump exploded, that's all.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Believe me, I know what i'm talking about.
It doesn't sound like it.

It sounds like you think you know more than you actually do, and like to portray some sort of authority because you play the character of being a professional mechanic.

It sounds like when you are called on bull**** like this you have to run off to google and alldata to get some key words and a quick wiki definition to save face.

You see, going on the offensive doesn't make you look more credible. It makes you look desperate.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DarylJ
It doesn't sound like it.

It sounds like you think you know more than you actually do, and like to portray some sort of authority because you play the character of being a professional mechanic.

It sounds like when you are called on bull**** like this you have to run off to google and alldata to get some key words and a quick wiki definition to save face.

You see, going on the offensive doesn't make you look more credible. It makes you look desperate.
In previous posts, I've gone through and debunked all of your blabbermouth BS you said on this entire thread. Not once did you post a viable option for an economic/timely repair.
The truck needs a timing cover, not a new engine, not a reflash, not swapping the heads onto a junkyard block. Your so far off anything helpfull its humorous. What do you do for a living? stock shelves? IT? Professional forum troller? Dude, I been doing this PROFESSIONALLY since I was 16. I put a timing belt on my parents audi 5000 when I was 12. I've forgotten more about your truck than you will ever know. I don't try to "portray authority" that's your opinion because I challenged your point of view. Instead of spreading a bunch MORE BS about yet MORE stuff you have no clue about, you should change your point of view and maybe even suggest a viable repair.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like the filter caught everything, I couldn’t find anything downstream of it. Also took a clean rag and check for stuff on the bottom of the pistons and they are all clean. I'm going to flush the hell out of it with ATF just to be sure. Figure after all that I'll run it for 25 miles and change the filter and oil again.
Now my question is can I reuse the oil pan gasket?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You get that thing running again yet?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

If he just replaces the timing cover, won't his pump eventually fail again? **** I'm confused.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
4wd Low

just got the parts in, going back together. flushed the s$it out of it with ATF and its going back together. the owner never changed the oil after he got it and did some towing with it so I think that’s what caused it to fail. Pulled the spark plugs and didn't see any damage, the pistons all look good so I think the filter got clogged up and the extra stress caused the pump to go. Ill find out soon...

Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 AM
4wd Low

The only thing that bothers me is the loss of power when he lost the pump, I'm hoping it was the lifters losing oil that cause that

Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
4wd Low

Its back together, running smooth. Power steering pump is making a little noise but I think it just has some air in the system, every thing else seems good. going to drive it 25 miles then change the oil.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad everything is working out for you. You acted quickly and did the right thing and thus saved your engine. RoverMasterTech was right and he obviously knows what he is talking about. As a mechanic myself I agreed with him, hence no need to post my two cents :-)

Quick Reply: Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.