Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STLROVER1981
i tried to trade it in with the bad engine and told dealers to keep it on the up and up. but they would not give me jack for it.
Although Disco Mike still won't tell me in what mystical land Rovers with blown motors fetch 5 or 6 grand, everywhere else they're worth about $2k max, so this is really no surprise.

Whether you intend to keep the truck or not, you made the right move financially by repairing it.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a bolt-in diesel from Motor & Diesel Engineering in the UK. Based on a 300TDI, but it worked out to be something like $11000US just for the kit and shipping!!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STLROVER1981
i just went through this. i have a 2004 disco with 102,xxx miles and the oil pump stopped working. it spun a main bearing and had to have a new engine put in. i tried to trade it in with the bad engine and told dealers to keep it on the up and up. but they would not give me jack for it. i pondered what to do for about three months and decided to just put a new engine in it. i picked it up yesterday. It was the only option, now it has sale and trade in value and it comes with a year warranty parts and labor. overall it was a pretty bad situation. the engine they put in has 60k some odd miles on it. they gave me a nice paper trail.
Did the main go first then the pump or the pump fail and that caused the main to go? or do you know/ it all went at once?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey darylj,

Every post I read that you write is garbage. You don't need to Re-flash, the car will run EXACTLY the same, 4.0/4.6 whatever. You can swap the heads on the engine and no ones going to say **** about the warranty. (unless their real f'in douchebags, and I dont buy **** from douchebags.) Florida has no inspection. I find it irritating that you bashed that other dude for dolling out "Misinformation" when your the one who has no f'ing clue what your talking about.

-DUDE, SLAP A USED TIMING COVER ON IT-
-AND YOUR DONE-
your in florida, call roverland, get cover, install cover, drive car.

Last edited by RoverMasterTech; 06-26-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Every post I read that you write is garbage. You don't need to Re-flash, the car will run EXACTLY the same, 4.0/4.6 whatever.
So you aren't aware of the fuel map difference in a 4.0 vs 4.6 ECU?

Interesting that you're the one accusing me of not knowing things....

Just to be clear, you're basically saying that PTSchram is ripping people off by providing the remapping service which apparently doesn't exist. Or is it just not necessary? I'm not quite sure which of those delusions you are under. Maybe you can clarify for us all.

Also, call up RPI and let them know the same. I'm sure they'll be very interested to know they've been doing it wrong.

You can swap the heads on the engine and no ones going to say **** about the warranty. (unless their real f'in douchebags, and I dont buy **** from douchebags.)
This is a laughable statement, that demonstrates you don't know much about salvage yard warrantees. It is also an amazingly irresponsible piece of "advice" to give out to someone. Then again, it wouldn't be your problem if they got screwed following it, now would it?

Florida has no inspection. I find it irritating that you bashed that other dude for dolling out "Misinformation" when your the one who has no f'ing clue what your talking about.
"Your" is a possessive pronoun. I think you mean you're. It's a contraction for "you are."

Are you just drunk posting, or have you decided that I somehow threaten you?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
i would take it to another good mechanic to have a second look, just my 2 cents.
I agree. When the dealer I bought mine from dropped a screw into the engine while changing the spark plugs they gave me the money for a used engine which had about 64k on it and I paid $2100 shipped with a warranty. You might even check some salvage yards or parts locators.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DarylJ
So you aren't aware of the fuel map difference in a 4.0 vs 4.6 ECU?

Interesting that you're the one accusing me of not knowing things....

Just to be clear, you're basically saying that PTSchram is ripping people off by providing the remapping service which apparently doesn't exist. Or is it just not necessary? I'm not quite sure which of those delusions you are under. Maybe you can clarify for us all.

Also, call up RPI and let them know the same. I'm sure they'll be very interested to know they've been doing it wrong.

This is a laughable statement, that demonstrates you don't know much about salvage yard warrantees. It is also an amazingly irresponsible piece of "advice" to give out to someone. Then again, it wouldn't be your problem if they got screwed following it, now would it?

"Your" is a possessive pronoun. I think you mean you're. It's a contraction for "you are."

Are you just drunk posting, or have you decided that I somehow threaten you?
I put a 4.0 Bosch motor in a 4.6 GEMS RR, Ran fine. I put a 4.6 Bosch in a 2000 disco, Ran fine. If you remap the ecu whoopdie doo, So you aren't aware of these new cars that tune themselves? The thing is going to trim the 600cc diff in LTFT anyway. so whats the "fuel map difference" gonna do when the engine CONSTANTLY tunes itself to 14:1 in closed loop anyway? Tell your used parts supplier "Look that disco motor i bought from you, you sent me the wrong one so i either gotta send it back or swap the heads on it but i don't wanna void the warranty" you know they are going to say just swap the heads. they don't want to risk losing the sale over something as dumb as that. And who cares about my grammar?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Winching

OK, I just have to bite on this one.

If you really think that the upstream O2 sensor holding the motor at 14:1 in closed loop is all that is needed, what exactly do you think fuel maps are for?

You are digging yourself a moderately deep hole here. You may want to consider your responses more carefully. Or at least with more sobriety.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling the engine out Tuesday AM, I have the tech manual but is there any non standard PITA things I should look out for (have never done a rover before)? I'm going to put the engine on a stand and clean it/look for damage, any parts you guys recommend I look at closely? thanks!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DarylJ
OK, I just have to bite on this one.

If you really think that the upstream O2 sensor holding the motor at 14:1 in closed loop is all that is needed, what exactly do you think fuel maps are for?

You are digging yourself a moderately deep hole here. You may want to consider your responses more carefully. Or at least with more sobriety.
the fuel maps are for running in open loop, you always need a base map to tune from otherwise the engine wouldn't start. But if your LTFT is within 8% rich/lean you wont get ANY benefit from retuning the ECU. ACTUALLY you can go +/- up to 25% on OBD2 cars and not have any performance difference, but the ecu will throw lean/rich codes. Believe me, I know what i'm talking about. I've made fuel maps from scratch on turbocharged megasquirt stand alone cars. The new megasquirts you don't even need to map, just get em idling, you can use closed loop feedback from a wideband 02, set your target AFR and just drive the car. It writes its own map.

Quick Reply: Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.