Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil/ similar substance in Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023 | 08:21 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Pulled the fan to get better access to the leak area. Here are more pictures.

I actually have a water pump sitting around, but I bought it before the Flowkooler was available so I went ahead and ordered a flowcooler since regardless of the issue I expect I’ll be doing a water pump.

I’ve seen a few folks mention the “weep hole” on the water pump. Does that look to be the leak location based on these pictures? The bulk of the coolant build up is around the front cover on the drivers side behind the water pump.

Oil in the coolant is only possible via a headgasket leak, or an oil cooler leak. Is that right? So regardless of whether or not my water pump is leaking, there’s another issue as well.

Old 06-25-2023 | 08:49 PM
Camel Trophy

From the looks of those it could be the top two water pump bolts on the ds. They do go all the way through the pump in to the water jacket and should be sealed with silicone when installing.

The following users liked this post:
arains44 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2023 | 09:29 PM
TReK

Coolant can get into the oil past a bad timing cover gasket.

Old 06-25-2023 | 10:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Regarding oil in coolant, recall there is slight vacuum produced as the engine cools down and the coolant contracts. If there is any oil around the leak, then a little oil could be sucked in to the cooling system. It's good you paid attention to the little clues these engines give us. Some folks do not tighten the coolant cap, so no pressure builds up, and no vacuum either.

If you are worried about head gaskets, first do a compression test.

Old 06-26-2023 | 06:57 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
From the looks of those it could be the top two water pump bolts on the ds. They do go all the way through the pump in to the water jacket and should be sealed with silicone when installing.
Maybe it was assembled previously with no silicone and eventually that seal broke.

Old 06-26-2023 | 07:00 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by JohnZo
Regarding oil in coolant, recall there is slight vacuum produced as the engine cools down and the coolant contracts. If there is any oil around the leak, then a little oil could be sucked in to the cooling system. It's good you paid attention to the little clues these engines give us. Some folks do not tighten the coolant cap, so no pressure builds up, and no vacuum either.

If you are worried about head gaskets, first do a compression test.
I have a compression test kit, so I’ll give that whirl this week as a matter of course, but I’m not concerned with headgaskets since there’s no signs of coolant in the oil, there’s proper coolant pressure (it looses pressure when it cools down quickly due to the leak), no white smoke from the exhaust, no codes or misfires or running issues, etc.

Which is why it’s been giving me a headache. Would be much simpler if it just had a milkshake under the oil cap.

JohnZo (06-27-2023)
Old 06-26-2023 | 11:04 AM
|
Rock Crawling

I bought the truck from my friend who’s the lead tech at our local Land Rover independent shop.

He’s thinking the timing cover gasket is the cause of the leak based on the pictures and description of what’s going on.

So looks like the truck will be down for a few weeks while I wait for an appointment slot to open up. If he felt it was just the water pump then I’d knock it out this weekend, but alas. I very much trust his input.

The truck is my daily. My wife and I can carpool easily but it’s a bit of a strain. I’ve been driving it this way for a while, but I can’t in good conscience continue driving it knowing the extent of the issue.

This Disco has given me about 15k trouble free miles over the past two years. I’ve spent less on it than I have on my wife’s Acura RDX with less mileage in the same time frame. Can’t really complain…

Richard Gallant (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023 | 02:51 PM
TReK

If it was me I’d probably keep driving it for the couple of weeks, keeping an eye on the oil and coolant. (Disclaimer: my free advice might be worth what you paid for it).

Old 06-26-2023 | 04:28 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Harvlr
If it was me I’d probably keep driving it for the couple of weeks, keeping an eye on the oil and coolant. (Disclaimer: my free advice might be worth what you paid for it).
hahaha. I would, if I hadn’t already been doing that for several weeks… haha.

Its a slow leak. But the oil in the coolant is getting worse every time it runs. I’d rather not have a failure with my daughter in her car seat so I decided to leave it at home and carpool with my wife until I can get it sorted.

Just hate the consensus seems to being timing cover since that’s obviously a biggie compared to a water pump.

Old 06-26-2023 | 08:49 PM
TReK

On my D2 I had coolant in the oil. Because of the reputation of LR V8’s needing HG’s, I replaced them, but there was nothing wrong with them. The problem was a very bad timing cover gasket.

Quick Reply: Oil/ similar substance in Coolant