Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Sump Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Sump Gasket

Is there a write up on changing the oil sump gasket? Has anyone done it before with some helpfull knowledge. Is it fairly easy?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy but messy - assuming this is without removing the engine.
1. Drain oil - kinda obvious
2. Raise vehicle body on jack stands, 3" or higher would be good. You do not want to raise the front axle, you are looking for more clearance between the axle and the oil pan.
3. Optional step... remove the front drive shaft, or just undo the front diff end. This gives you more wiggle room to get the oil pan out. If you have not rebuilt your front drive shaft then consider doing it at this point.
4. Undo the oil cooler pipes and oil pan bolts and remove the oil pan - follow the steps in rave.
5. Remove the oil pickup tube.
6. Clean everything, oil pan, oil pickup tube and the bottom of the engine case making sure all RTV is removed.
7. Fit oil pickup tube with new o ring and RTV the 4 spots on the block, see rave.
8. Have 2 long zip ties handy, use these to lift the oil pan into position without it touching the engine.
9. Fit all bolts and nuts loosely, do not tighten them until all are in - you may need to wiggle the gasket around to get the bolts through the holes in the gasket. Remove zip ties.
10. Torque the bolts in the sequence in rave.
11. Refit oil cooler pipes.
12. Fit new oil drain plug washer and torque oil drain plug.
13. Fit front drive shaft.
14. Replace oil filter.
15. Fill up with oil.

Last edited by Bundu; 09-07-2010 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MAF Diver (07-16-2024)
Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the quick reply! I plan on doing this on my next oil change. I see a very minor oil leak from around the sump gasket.

The rave says to also "disconnect and release gearbox oil cooler pipe and discard 'o' ring". I assume my 2003 D2 does not have an oil cooler?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right, you do not have an oil cooler and I took that into consideration with my post.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks alot, I appreciate the response. I'm ordering the gasket and the 'o' ring for the oil pickup tube.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oring?

Hey just wondering what Oring you're talking about for the oil pickup?
I am halfway through the oil pan gasket replacement, just lifted up the rover and slipped the oil pan out. By the way no need to undo the drive shaft just lift it up until the wheels come off a little bit. But I found a whole bunch of the gasket in the pick up which is not good! but I did not see any orings for the pick up. Is it possible to unscrew the pick up and clean it out or something like that? About to put everything back on today. Another quick question though, I bought some silicone to make sure that gasket seals up nicely, do you guys recommend putting that on? Thanks!
Lev

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling

also, what does RTV stand for?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

RTV = silicone gasket maker. Usually this is referring to 'Right Stuff' gasket maker...you should be able to get it at any parts store. It comes in several different varieties.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Wow that was such a procedure... So a quick tip for anyone changing their gasket. Oh before I write this let me say that this was on my Disco1. I placed Silicone between the bottom of the gasket and the oil pan and this helped keep it in place as I slid it into position. (that's what he said Also I placed two small zip ties on the sides to keep the gasket from sliding anywhere. What else? Oh, i would advice fitting the bolts on the 4 holes closer to the back of the Discovery. Those are the hardest to access and it's easier to adjust the gasket near the front of the car. Good luck friends!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Finally!

It was finally time for my oil change and I also did the oil sump gasket as it had been slowly but surely leaking over the months.

First I removed that plastic cover under the engine, (make sure you raise your Disco for the extra clearance needed between the sump and the front axle), next I also removed the cross member for allowing room to manuver the sump out. Then I undid all the bolts and dropped the oil sump. I followed RAVE to the dot!

It was rather simple, but extremely messy IMO. I'm glad I did it though because I confirmed the leak! Here are some pictures as they speak for themselves.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Sump Gasket-oil-sump2.jpg   Oil Sump Gasket-oil-sump3.jpg   Oil Sump Gasket-oil-sump4.jpg   Oil Sump Gasket-oil-sump5.jpg   Oil Sump Gasket-oil-sump6.jpg  

Last edited by tito5590805; 01-18-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Sump Gasket