Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil trail around the neighborhood leads to guilty Disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil trail around the neighborhood leads to guilty Disco

I'm pretty sure my the neighbors are going to ban my Disco II soon. I don't even have ownership yet.

Poorly rigged cooler bleed hose pops off while driving.
It gets towed back home.
A small plastic fitting had snapped off the radiator some time ago and the hose was half glued back on.
I replaced the radiator. Yes I removed most of the front end and disconnected the oil cooler hoses. I found rumors of an easier way but I'm afraid of breaking stuff.
Put everything back together and reconnected the hoses.

What happened next? Can you guess?

Last edited by locknload7; 11-15-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Those stupid quick connect cooler lines popped off.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its not leaking its empty its a Rover!!!! Like oh my god IDK you gotta tell us???

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lower LH gearbox oil cooler line popped the f*** off. I drove right around the block after I heard the pop and parked the rig, not realizing I was leaking trani fluid the whole way. There is a wide trail of oil leading around the block right up to my truck on otherwise clean streets (3 yr old neighborhood). Yikes. I considered lighting the trail on fire and telling people I had traveled through time.

It took me an hour and 3 tries to work that oil line into place where it would snap. I'm not sure if it was the angle or what but it did not want to go in. Now I have to refill my transmission.

There's nothing quick about those quick connect lines.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took my Disco out to play on the frozen lake at the foot of the Rockies on Friday, and it overheated (so ironic to be on a frozen lake with snow capped mountains in the background and have an overheating (220 F-228 F) vehicle). Arrived home later that day and commenced the replacement of the entire cooling system together with a 180 thermo. Yesterday, I put it all together and around 10pm, thought I would put a load on it with a quick trip around the block. Voila, my lower tranny cooler hose came off and I was stranded in a back alley with a 2 hour wait for CAA. An hour later the Police showed up because of the "suspicious vehicle"..... I will never trust those plastic "cones" as it did click on and spin, before I drover off. I am looking at compression fittings. Any thoughts or tips?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
If its not leaking its empty its a Rover!!!! Like oh my god IDK you gotta tell us???
Yeah, mine only leaves a small drip of oil when it is full. Once it is a half quart low it never drips!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Love the title! Made me laugh my *** off! The life of a Disco! Just gotta love it hahaha

Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Back for round 2 of my group therapy session. Purchased 10 litres of fluid. Only used 5. Drove the Disco in and out of the garage, through the range of gears, pumping more fluid into the tranny after each 30 seconds. Then the damn hose came off and 5 litres went out again....So, took a hose clamp, a small flat screwdriver and stuck the open end of the hose clamp down the quick clamp to raise the "teeth" (after I had used the screwdriver to pry the teeth open), and the width of the teeth matched the slots in the hose clamp. I then added another 5 litres. So far so good but I am not driving anywhere yet. But, what I wanted to discuss was the following: When I broke down it was 10pm and minus 8 Celsius, so while I waited for the tow truck (I did not want to leave the truck for fear that another tow truck would pick it up and take it to an impound lot), I had the truck running. Both the tranny and the gearbox were in neutral. Then I started to read this forum and learned that I may have cooked the tranny by running the engine without tranny fluid. I can tell you the fluid that was thrown out was a nice red hue, and now the tranny appears to work properly, though now I have imbedded fear No. 754334343 into my Land Rover fear factor memory bank that the tranny will fail at anytime..... While I was awaiting the tow, I could not help but think about my 1958 107 Series One, and how it would never have let me down in this fashion. Now I just have to find the new owner of it.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Mudding

Back for round 3 of my group therapy session. Used a cutting disk on the grinder to cut the rubber hose metal fitting at the engine as I did not wish to drop the transmission for a new line. I used a 400PSI 1/2 inch line and of course, the fitting at the oil cooler is larger than the fitting at the engine....Double hose clamps on each end, with the engine side clamped over the ridge and the oil cooler side not so clamped. So far so good. Burped the engine with the right side up on a snow bank over the last three days, adding coolant to engine each night, and so far so good. I was out smelling the exhaust upon start-up this morning and did not have the sweet smell of Prestone Anti-freeze, but I am ordering the head gasket kit and bolts in anticipation of an end of summer maintenance item. Also, I was under a misapprehension about the transmission (pump vs. gear stuff-up). My only saving grace was that it was cold at the time and I was not moving, though a LR tech told me I did not do the transmission pump any favours and probably shortened its life; the pumps are dear but are easy to replace. Ok, onto another week of land rover mechanical therapy. Rover on Lads!

Last edited by kdscott100; 03-05-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: accuracy