Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oily transfer case normal at 50k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oily transfer case normal at 50k?

I'm looking at purchasing an 03 or 04 Disco...

I test drove an HSE last night with 50k on it...and the transer case (or some other part in the vicinity) was oily...the guy at the lot told me it's normal since it's full time 4wd.

Thoughts?

Anything special to look for when choosing one?

Jason

Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 AM
gda
6th Gear
Default RE: Oily transfer case normal at 50k?

Uh no. Leaks are never normal. They just mean something is worn and needs to be fixed.

I looked at a half dozen or so 02s and 03s before getting my 03 DII in Dec and its clean as a whistle top and underneath. Sounds like something near/around the transfer case needs some attention on the one you are looking at.

Make sure to take it out for a long drive and listen for clunks, thunks in driveline and make sure all the electrics work (windows, sunroofs, wipers lights etc). Also, make sure it idles real smooth whether in park or in gear. This is all normal stuff you would be concerned with on a normal car. Its seems the small stuff on these cars usually needs attention at some time or another from reading the boards.

I am very happy with mine. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Hmm - a British car that doesNOT leak something would be very suspicious - it might mean that it has no fluids left to leak. At least that is my experience. Is this the kind of the leak that leavesdrops or puddleson the pavement, or does the transfer case just have a slightly"greasy" look to it?The danger here is that ifthe leak issubstential, the vehicle most likely has been ran with littleto nooil in the t-case. I would have this car (or any other prospective vehicle purchase)checkedout by a shop that specializes in it, but don't rule it out just because it hasone leak. The LR transfer case cover plates in the Disco IIs don't use a gasket, but rather a form-a-gasket type material, that sometimes causes leaks. The two cases I have dealt with had the same problem. Main thing is to make sure that the leak is small enough as to not cause a low oil level situation.

Piotr

Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Unfortunately Rovers are a little prone to leak, or should I say seep a litlle oil.
Is this truck dripping or just damp?
What will you be using this truck for? The 04 has alot more traction with up grades on the ETC, t/case and the tranny over the 03.
The 03 does not have the ability to look the t/case for extra traction like the 04. Remember Rover has a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty that is transferable and will fix any leaks.
Mike

Old 02-02-2007, 02:48 PM
4wd Low

is the prop shaft well greased back of transfer box because this can splater on to case and run when warm.if not wipe away oil with rag take it around block and look underneath again check around filler and drain plugs.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the input... I've decided to pass on that one.

Mike: I plan on using the truck off road, much like the Jeep Wrangler I used to have. As long as the capabilities of the 03 are as good as those of the old Wrangler I'll be satisfied. I do enjoy off road driving, but nothing extreme anymore...nothing that would risk body damage.