Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK... might have found a Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OK... might have found a Disco!

After looking around and around, I have run across a few candidates for my next silly purchase.
I'm going to look at a 2003 (VIN is after the bad oil pump range) on Wednesday. Looks to be a single owner with 100K on the clock. The color is the Beige/Gold which I don't like, but color is the least of my worries. The truck looks clean inside an out, and well taken care of. Looks like it has lots of the dealer installed extras as well (brush guard, driving lights, rear ladder, side steps, etc).
So, during the test drive... what should I really listen to/hear/feel? I have read all the "what to look for" posts, but interested in the real meat of big red flags to notice. I already know I will most likely have to do the gasket, greasable shaft, fluids, etc... but what are big dollar items I need to sweat while looking/driving her?
Thanks!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look for engine leaks..check 4lo..try to find some dirt or gravel and see if TC kicks in

Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
look for engine leaks..check 4lo..try to find some dirt or gravel and see if TC kicks in
OK, so try out 4Lo on the pavement to make sure it goes in and out smooth, correct? With the dirt/gravel, should I be in Hi or Lo, and just try to free up the tires to see if it kicks in?
Also, would testing the HDC on a regular (non dirt) hill show anything?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put it in 4 low on a steep driveway push the HDC switch and let it go down the hill with your foot on off the brake...you will know if it is working

Old 10-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pull the dipstick check oil level....check coolant level...check door locks...check sunroofs for operation...see if front driveshaft has been replaced or has grease zerks on u joints...

Old 10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

make sure it can shift into and out of hi-lo put it in lo and down in 1 and get one side of the truck up on a curb and hit the HDC come off the curb and you should feel the brakes engage as each tire comes off the curb. if you are just pavement and engage the HDC it won't do anything unless there are loads of potholes and manhole covers to hit.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Basically make sure everything works.
A wet grass hill is a good place to check the traction control.
Basically with the Hill Decent Control and Traction Control if there are no warning lights on on the dash then it all works, if it has the "3 Amigos" then the rule of thumb is the TC, HDC and ABS do not work.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by agthird
see if front driveshaft has been replaced or has grease zerks on u joints...
I've been trying to find pictures of these but can't. I'm assuming it would be something fairly obvious to see looking underneath? The usual nipple type grease fitting?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I've been trying to find pictures of these but can't. I'm assuming it would be something fairly obvious to see looking underneath? The usual nipple type grease fitting?
this pic is not from a rover but it will look very similar

Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good tips so far everyone! It is much appreciated! Looks like there might have been some paint work from the pictures, as the "SE7" badge on the Driver's Side is not there. I'll see the CarFax and have a good look in person though. Any other suggestions please let me know!

Quick Reply: OK... might have found a Disco!