Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Tear down time

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Tear down time

I have decided to investigate the ticking noise from my motor. I have looked at the exhaust and tightened the bolts and replaced the manifold to pipe gasket(both sides). Still ticking can be heard. I am planing to replace lfiters,push rods, and the rocker arms. I also am going to replace the cam and the timing chain assy. I don't feel that the noise is a slipped liner....BUT won't know till I get it apart. This is going to be a learning experience for me so I may be asking questions in the future. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I have a 2001 LR II with a 4.0. I want to use all OEM parst and keep it original. Thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It should be fun but, remember people have replaced every moving part only to still have the tick.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On some of the other forums very respected member gurus have detailed a process of pinning the liners, so they won't slip in the future, supposed to be about $100. Consider doing the oil pump, rear main seal, front crank seal while you have things apart. That assumes you are pulling the engine. But if not, some can still be done. Have also seen write ups on crankshaft bearings done in the truck. Eventually it will be better than brand new. There have also been recent posts on the tick that involved the SAI, might want to review those before turning a wench, er.. wrench.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the oil pump, timing chain and sprockets for sure! Do you know if its top or lower end noise? Maybe its a bearing??? The lifters and rockers/ pushrods are pretty easy as long as you have the rave.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

atancreti - what about your oil PSI and oil pump?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Overlanding

I get the tick after it has run for 10 min or so then it is at idle and low speed. Cannot hear it from in the car but can hear it outside. I have heard bad lifters before and this is a simular sound. Tried lighter grade oil but no difference. Will look into the SAI also. Thanks for input.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
On some of the other forums very respected member gurus have detailed a process of pinning the liners, so they won't slip in the future, supposed to be about $100. Consider doing the oil pump, rear main seal, front crank seal while you have things apart. That assumes you are pulling the engine. But if not, some can still be done. Have also seen write ups on crankshaft bearings done in the truck. Eventually it will be better than brand new. There have also been recent posts on the tick that involved the SAI, might want to review those before turning a wench, er.. wrench.
Any pictures of this? I have mine torn down to the bare block right now and I am very interested in getting the liners pinned but can't figure out how to search Discoweb.org to find the posts or and pictures