Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME vs Terrafirma Springs, Medium or Heavy weight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
you are probably right in that line of thinking. I'm just against spring spacers if they can be avoided as it's adding another point of failure.
I agree - Anything spacers is a no no for me but I just couldn't spend the $$$ and the Time to do all the right things for 3" lift - I'm running a bit out of time for my trip in Nov to Baja...

I already have it in my head that I will be spending more $$$ in the future to do different/right/whatever things it'll be to set up this truck the way we want it to be. But this research will be good for us in the future. I don't see many people with FOX shocks so i wanted to see how they are and test it with a TF shocks in the future. I wonder if they are worth twice the $$$.

and talking to Lucky8, Roverparts, Accutune etc, no one was really able to tell me "why" Fox shocks were so much more... lol

Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

The fox should be vastly superior to the TF...they should last longer and may have a larger shaft diameter making them more robust. I run the +3" TF adjustables and can't give a good review due to my springs being clapped out lol. I will be revamping everything next summer hopefully to see about stuffing the longest travel shocks I can without going higher than the 4" lift (adjustable towers etc). The TF I'm running are 11" travel shocks and I'd love to be able to run 14" or more and really be able to flex this thing out. I don't know that I need more travel but once bumping up to Foxs they cost the same or close enough across the travel length I might as well see about maxing it out.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

I had been an avid cyclist for lota years- when on east coast, I was xc riding & competing downhill. Fox was always the industry leader in suspension - by a long shot. There products always held tune, always lighter, stronger, put up with serious abuse. Valving for weight was a big issue, which they seem to always had dialed in - and the seals to hold hydraulic & pneumatic (whichever was prominent at the time) pressure over a lengthy season/beating were always superior to competitors.

When I needed new shocks - I called fox & asked what they had to say about building for SUV - specifically the D2 - as I couldn’t find any info on them either - and they seamed reasonably priced.

Fox claimed they were new with the Land Rover - the d2 was awful heavy he said - and they were really just getting there feet wet with this community & would continue to adapt as community asked for it.
Rovers north gave me a great deal & I feel like I will stick with them. I’m about 1ton over stock suspension for my preference of riding; over-landing and crawling - and so far I’m very happy. Long road trips, very technical off road, great flex, lota travel. great responsive with HD springs - about 3 years & 60k on them.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Mudding

My OME HD springs came in. I’ll try to photo document as much as I can. I’m just waiting for the Fox shocks to come today and I’ll be installing them tomorrow.

parareid82 (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Mudding

I'm pretty confident on wrenching stuff.... but that was a tough swap.

Everything about the whole discovery suspension set up just make things difficult. On just the small little stuff.

But that was a tough tough 1 person job... especially on the ground. I probably will never do it again without a buddy or a lift.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

You need two jacks and jack stands to do it yourself. Use the second jack to raise up the body while leaving the frame low... to take compression of springs.

GoRoll (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@GoRoll I did solo in the driveway and it is not really that bad, but yes finicky in places.

2 things that help
  • a floor jack really helps, mine is ancient but it lifts well.
  • Spring compressors - you only need a bit of compression but it really makes a difference.
I think it took me 6 hours in total, but I went slow and thought about what I was doing

Old 10-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Mudding

I jacked up both side. It was doable but everything just took 30 min of each section. Bolts. Top. Shocks. Etc....

super beat. I did the back and driver side. Taking a break to do the passenger side later on today. I felt like I did each section and it took me 3 hours each which should’ve been 30–1 hour each IMO

Old 10-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Well done. 🍻
very satisfying when finished, isn’t it?

Old 10-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Mudding

I also added a spacer except the front, it was just making it more difficult to install the springs... maybe because of the unfamiliarity...

i will probably take out the rear spacer later...

When I installed the rear only.. front still stock.

Quick Reply: OME vs Terrafirma Springs, Medium or Heavy weight?