Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: Service dept waiting for parts to come in. Upside is the repair was approved under maxcare extended warranty, replacing valve cover, lifters, will get the complete list of the work to be done tomorrow. They wanted the service records and it was kind of funny, I handed them the third testament. Downside, separation anxiety, estimate I won't get to be with my lady for the better part of a week. But rather slow and steady and no more tick than fast, rash, and back in a dash.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New lifters but not a new cam? Bye bye cam.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bundu
New lifters but not a new cam? Bye bye cam.
Easy Bundu. I said I have to get the complete punchlist tomorrow. The service advisor is a nice guy, but the tech impressed me. Described what the problem was to me, when it happens, and why it happened after the oil change in December. I'll report back when I have the complete story, but heck, cam's covered too...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a heads up... new lifters on an old cam is not good. Changing lifters is easy but changing the cam is more involved, so they might want to take the easy way out. I honestly hope you get sorted out though.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
Update: Service dept waiting for parts to come in. Upside is the repair was approved under maxcare extended warranty, replacing valve cover, lifters, will get the complete list of the work to be done tomorrow. They wanted the service records and it was kind of funny, I handed them the third testament. Downside, separation anxiety, estimate I won't get to be with my lady for the better part of a week. But rather slow and steady and no more tick than fast, rash, and back in a dash.
Not to be a downer but guys with ticks have replaced much more then lifters and the tick was still there...Just food for thought. Since its covered you have nothing to lose...I hope new lifters fix it for you.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Not to be a downer but guys with ticks have replaced much more then lifters and the tick was still there...Just food for thought. Since its covered you have nothing to lose...I hope new lifters fix it for you.
I hate ticks, they carry all kinds of diseases!

I have a 4.6L ticking time-bomb. I maintain it diligently, but I refuse to spend money for a major repair on this engine. Next time it comes up for something I can't/won't do myself, I think I'll move forward with a new Turner or RPI engine. I'm leaning Turner, but who knows.

FWIW, mine has "ticked" like that since 45k miles, when it was about 3-4 months out of warranty by in-service date. LRNA offered me the same thing as you- trade it in and we'll give you a deal! Fockers. I didn't want an LR3, I want what I bought! One theory is that what you're hearing is piston skirts or a wrist pin.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Drifting

So the plot (ahem oil) thickens. Service write up does not include Camshaft replacement. I have pleaded my case, we'll see what happens. OEM parts, goodness these lifters cost a fortune... here was the diagnosis:

**No sludge found, engine oil press at spec, oil level full, and condition of oil is good. **No signs of abuse, engine condition rated excellent **Vehicle is in factory condition, overall condition excellent, full service history provided exceeds manufacturer's recommended service intervals, no modifications. Failed valve lifters causing loud tap after warm up.

I know its still early, but from household appliances to vehicles buying a warranty/extended warranty has never failed me yet. Will post outcome in a week or so.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

subscribed. good luck, Rover Techs.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed as well, as the new owner of a 2003 DII with the same sort of tick. Oil pressure is well within spec, it seems to run great, and I didn't hear the tick when I bought the truck due massive exhaust leaks at the collector of both exhaust manifolds.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

betting its still gonna tic...

subscribed

Quick Reply: OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble