Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: three weeks tomorrow. The lifter job was completed Friday and the warranty company has now authorized $1K more for rocker arm replacement. Meanwhile, I'm slumming in a Jeep loaner. So the warranty has now paid for itself and then some.

If the general consensus is these engines develop ticks/rattles/noises and I should deal with it... thats not going to happen. I simply haven't driven her enough to accept anything less than an operable vehicle running at spec. This will be resolved, or they can give me fair market value plus low mileage/locality/condition spiffs.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
Update: three weeks tomorrow. The lifter job was completed Friday and the warranty company has now authorized $1K more for rocker arm replacement. Meanwhile, I'm slumming in a Jeep loaner. So the warranty has now paid for itself and then some.

If the general consensus is these engines develop ticks/rattles/noises and I should deal with it... thats not going to happen. I simply haven't driven her enough to accept anything less than an operable vehicle running at spec. This will be resolved, or they can give me fair market value plus low mileage/locality/condition spiffs.
This could be interesting. You may want to start giving thought to "fair market value plus low mileage/locality/condition spiffs".

Just sayin'.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

Keep us updated, I honestly hope it gets fixed for you.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Weekly update: 4 weeks tomorrow. Drove the truck last Friday and I must say it drives a well as ever. Maybe because I've been driving one offs for a month. Anyway, I never grow tired of the cockpit feel and large sonic/aero sounds my 4.6 makes when I get her going.

There is a reason I'm meandering, the tick was still present. Come to find out they replaced rocker arm values but not new arms. The parts are coming from Rover, so the week consists of two days for parts/day for install/day to discover it still ticks. So this week the arms are going on. We're now sitting @ about $4K warranty work/parts for $50.
I hate to part with her, but I can't rationalize/justify this for another 50K miles. Carmax has been wonderful. Land Rover and customer service don't belong in the same sentence. The service advisor at the local rover dealer spent 20 min on the phone justifying the engine noises. Why should I drown out the noise with heavier oil? I'm confrontational by nature, if there is a problem, nip it in the bud/get to the root!

Having researched/read and with all the tremendous information resources you guys have been it all points to a faulty product. If I had skipped a service, done 55mph in low gear, or gone anywhere except the dealer, I could understand. Service history impeccable. Documented to the letter. If only FJ crusiers had four doors...

Last edited by vrblknch; 03-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
Weekly update: 4 weeks tomorrow. Drove the truck last Friday and I must say it drives a well as ever. Maybe because I've been driving one offs for a month. Anyway, I never grow tired of the cockpit feel and large sonic/aero sounds my 4.6 makes when I get her going.

There is a reason I'm meandering, the tick was still present. Come to find out they replaced rocker arm values but not new arms. The parts are coming from Rover, so the week consists of two days for parts/day for install/day to discover it still ticks. So this week the arms are going on. We're now sitting @ about $4K warranty work/parts for $50.
I hate to part with her, but I can't rationalize/justify this for another 50K miles. Carmax has been wonderful. Land Rover and customer service don't belong in the same sentence. The service advisor at the local rover dealer spent 20 min on the phone justifying the engine noises. Why should I drown out the noise with heavier oil? I'm confrontational by nature, if there is a problem, nip it in the bud/get to the root!

Having researched/read and with all the tremendous information resources you guys have been it all points to a faulty product. If I had skipped a service, done 55mph in low gear, or gone anywhere except the dealer, I could understand. Service history impeccable. Documented to the letter. If only FJ crusiers had four doors...

------------------
Stick to your guns on eliminating the click.....

In my case, new oil pump, lifters/pushrods/rocker arms/rocker arm shaft, main bearings and rod bearings did not fix it. Thicker oil did not work as well. There doesn't appear to be a good understanding of the basis of the click. Advice is usually drive with it (not a good answer) or replace the motor (meaning the source is not understood).

If you are not paying, then motor replacement is probably the best.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Drifting

This will most likely be my final update. Carmax has given up and want to pay me out of my vehicle. All said and done the offer is a little shy less than 15K with one month's car payment included and the remainder of the warranty refunded. Of course its more than I owe, and I am pulling all my extra gadgets off to keep. All in all, they only tore down the engine three times of which the warranty company fully funded the first of those jobs. So my car has basically been sitting for almost two months.

My main issue is I can't imagine driving anything else, this vehicle is tailored to me, the decals, accessories, time invested. Rather than accept the offer hands down I'm meeting with my atty to see what kind of pain/suffering/damages or total refund of the failed warranty I can seek. I will seek further arbitration if need be, simply because this is horrid timing to be car shopping for me. The fact that they were quick to make the offer is an admission of guilt in itself. Wife is due in August, this was gonna be my baby hauler, I've lent the crown vic to a family member indefinitely, need a 4x4 to make it to the vacation cabin deep off the grid in the mountains in June whine whine whine.

So its either keep the car and the warranty company may/may not replace the engine with a reconditioned (won't do new) engine we'll know nothing about or take the money and run. I love the Nessie, and I'm sure someone else can deal with her heart arrhythmia, I'm not going to, can't see paying the remainder of financing for a defective product even if she is 2500 shy from 45K miles. I also have zero confidence in local technicians, short of pulling the engine and installing another one. If I were a little further on in life, I wouldn't mine tinkering with her myself, but that isn't an option for me, too much going on.

Cheers.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck with your baby in August and your fight with Carmax etc etc...

If you should find the time.. please let us know how things progress with your attorney/arbitration/Carmax and how everything works out for you...

Good Luck...

Thomas

Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Winching

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issue. BUT, I really think you ought to look at a Land Cruiser or a Lexus LX 470 or a Lexus GX 470.

The GX is actually a LOT like the Disco, except infinitely more refined.

Why sue? It sounds like they've done everything they can to fix it and now that they're giving up on the repair they're offering to buy it back from you for more than you paid? Am I reading that correctly? Did I miss something? I know it's been a pain in the ****, but is it really anyone's fault? I suppose the blame could lay with Land Rover and poor craftsmanship on 40+ yr-old engine block technology- but real user data indicates that these engines will run to in excess of 100K miles while making that "tick" so it's really kind of hard to prove there's a problem. Mine drives me nuts and I sure wish it didn't do it, but it does. And, it's now been doing it for 50k miles and the truck runs the same as it always has! Numerous techs, some very talented and very qualified, have torn into these 4.6L engines time and time again only to report that everything looks good and is wearing well- yet the tick persists. I'm not saying you should live with it, but if you can't you should just take the refund and move on to a different vehicle. The Disco is a pretty lousy baby-hauler anyway- have you actually looked at or sat in that back seat?

Seriously- the BEST advice I can give you is to go test-drive a nice used Lexus GX 470 today. You'll like it (though it's not as masculine as a Discovery) and, perhaps more importantly, your wife will LOVE it.

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default welcome to the club

You should feel lucky that you get a dime back....I can attest that i have not heard of one on this forum who got out with cash... I too have a 04, and it ticked then grenaded...cam bearings decinagrated, rod , cons also wore out with about 80 k....transfer case took a dump, and when i tore it down to the block i found the oil pump gear was cracked in half...still turning but cracked in half...i could go on about other crap but it is senseless... Just makes you stressed out. Accept that is is a truck for very rich people as they dont even blink when there wife runs the truck out of oil and blows the engine... they just have it replaced and continue on with there lives.... Mine is sitting in my driveway for 8 months now and the engine tore apart in my garage ... i am lazy and waiting for a blue antique collectors license plate.... Seeing premium is at $4.29 a gallon i am in no hurry.... If it means anything my friend got a LR3 4 years ago and just put 50k on it and never had a problem...he has 3 kids and is getting a LR4 next month as it just turned 100k. I guess will see it on the forums here soon....LOL Yes, he is rich....

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Drifting

Which way!

My wife has a car. This vehicle was MY version of a baby hauler. Anyone who complains about the rear of a SAFARI STADIUM SEAT sounds questionable to me. The rear seats are the best in the house. No they are not paying me more than I paid for the vehicle... just a few cents more than owed. I don't want to sue if possible, I just want a FULL refund for a warranty that doesn't do what it says it does.

Last but not least, I've owned a Lexus in the past, it was a great vehicle. But as a designer, a visual person, those don't appeal to me like the lines of the Disco. Ask yourself "What would Indiana Jones drive?" and the Disco was it. Maybe the new Defender will retain some of the classic styling, until then I will ride the bench. Again, my situation is unique as my vehicle has HALF the mileage of most every other rig I know. If the car wasn't dealer serviced from jump, or if it was paid for, I may have dealt differently. The tick is a sign of worse things to come. Its a reminder I'm financing a SUBPAR product. I don't need a beauty queen who won't live to grow old with me.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble