Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One bad tire, replace all 4 or??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012 | 02:32 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default One bad tire, replace all 4 or??

is there any reason I should replace all 4 tires since one blew out? I have about 10,000 miles tread left on the other 3... didn't know if different tire sizes can cause problems with the differential. just checking.

Old 05-29-2012 | 03:57 PM
Administrator

What about your spare?

Old 05-29-2012 | 04:32 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What about your spare?
Mike, my spare is similar in tread depth as my other 3 tires, it is just a different brand; therefore different tread pattern.
I know I have been told with some all wheel drive cars it can cause problems with wearing transfer case gears when you have tires of different sizes (I mean one tire has more treadwear, but sames size i.e. - 255/65R16)

Old 05-29-2012 | 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Have you considered possibly a used one? Most experts discourage it, but on my RR the front was not aligned properly when I got it and the tires were showing thread on the inner portions and were ruined. I got on ebay and bought a used set of the exact brand and tread pattern. They came and were identical in wear to the rear ones. So far haven't had an issue. I've heard the tread pattern thing too on 4wd vehicles but it causes a problem more when you have sport tires on it and then one all terrain. If all 4 are all terrain then you technically shouldn't have a problem. I know with my dad's construction company they use different tires on the front than on the rear of some of his fleet 4wd suvs and he doesn't have any issues.

I've seen a lot of other Discos at the dealer auctions with mis-matched tires that feel fine when driven on the test track. And based on the poor condition of most of them, I would say the mis-matched tires didn't make much a difference on the wear of the diffs or transfer case. However, because I'm a maintenance freak, and if it were ME I would replace the ruined tire with another either new or slightly used one of the exact make and tread pattern. But that is just me

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:04 AM
Baja

put on the spare the problem is not with the tread pattern it is in the size, as long as it is approx. the same size. (30 in.) Then keep your eye out for a sale on tires, when the tread gets that low you will be surpised how quick they wear.

Old 05-30-2012 | 08:09 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
Then keep your eye out for a sale on tires, when the tread gets that low you will be surpised how quick they wear.

Haha, I hear yah!
I have been watching tirerack.com for all terrain tires.