Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only drivers door will unlock

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012 | 08:54 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Only drivers door will unlock

Hi all,

trying to help a friend of the family out by having a look at her recently purchased 1999 D2. Everything was fine for a couple of days but now the only door to unlock is the drivers.

Remote > Lock activates the drivers lock
Remote > Unlock causes the hazzards to flash but no Unlock

Key in drivers door locks and unlocks the drivers door without issue but ONLY the drivers door

Lock button from inside > Locks the drivers door (sounds like the others try too)
Unlock button from inside > Doesn't unlock any door

The drivers door will unlock by pulling the handle twice. None of the other doors can be opened from the inside.

I've started looking into the Superlock feature but unsure if this is definitely the cause.

Any advice???

Old 06-16-2012 | 11:11 PM
|
Overlanding

I THINK I've diagnosed it down to the IDM.

Having searched the forum I decided to test the inertia system that should automatically allow all doors to be opened in the event of an accident - that did NOT unlock the doors.

I tried to power the relevent terminals on C292 to force the motors to unlock but I just got a dead short every time. I unplugged the IDM completely and successfully powered the motors.

I removed the IDM and cleaned up the green gunk in hope that it would help but with the IDM in place I cannot power the motors no mater what.

Still appreciate some input before I make a purchase.

The following users liked this post:
Andy23 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-17-2012 | 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

When evaluating the IDM, keep in mind that it is controlled by the BCU. The relays in the IDM send voltage to the locks, first in one polarity, then reversing the polarity to unlock. The locks are tiny electric motors, not solenoids.

There are good diagrams in the electrical circuits manuals for the D2, and photos and connector pin outs for same in the electrical library.

Old 06-17-2012 | 12:52 PM
|
Overlanding

I've tried having a look at the diagrams but I can't really see the best way that I can distinguish if the issue lies with the IDM or the BCU. If it was the BCU itself wouldn't I have had issues with the Immobilizer etc? Even with the 3 doors being unabled to be opened I've never had an issue starting/driving it.

Also - doesn't the Inertia switch BYPASS the BCU and feeds the IDM directly? In which case the doors should have unlocked?

Savannah Buzz its been YOUR information in previous posts that have got me as far as I have - very grateful for that!

Old 06-17-2012 | 07:34 PM
Mudding

I had that issue, wife said push the unlock button on the fob twice, it worked for me.
All kinds of odd things I came across, leave the key turned on for 5 minutes to resync bcu icm, lock or unlock the drivers door with the key three times for something.

Please update, I doubt my troubles are over.

Old 06-17-2012 | 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

1. If can't unlock from inside that might be superlock.

2. The superlock common wire for everything except the driver door is the pink/slate (ping & gray). There is a header where all the doors except driver tied together, and go toward the IDM. Pink/puple is the common between the superlock and the regular lock motor. Pink/red is the wire that goes from all the regular lock motors to the IDM.

3. The header is shown in attached. Also check fuse 13 under hood, and 1 & 20 inside the truck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 C0292.pdf (565.0 KB, 305 views)
Andy23 (06-26-2022)
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:28 PM
4wd High
Default Please Help

Originally Posted by dan_t
Hi all,

trying to help a friend of the family out by having a look at her recently purchased 1999 D2. Everything was fine for a couple of days but now the only door to unlock is the drivers.

Remote > Lock activates the drivers lock
Remote > Unlock causes the hazzards to flash but no Unlock

Key in drivers door locks and unlocks the drivers door without issue but ONLY the drivers door

Lock button from inside > Locks the drivers door (sounds like the others try too)
Unlock button from inside > Doesn't unlock any door

The drivers door will unlock by pulling the handle twice. None of the other doors can be opened from the inside.

I've started looking into the Superlock feature but unsure if this is definitely the cause.

Any advice???

I HOPE YOUR STILL ON HERE? I am having this same problem and am having no luck! PLEASE tell me you figured it out! Its driving me Nuts...

Andy23 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022 | 01:39 PM
Overlanding
Default I know… This thread died right when I found it most helpful!

Originally Posted by TJ Ranfranz
I HOPE YOUR STILL ON HERE? I am having this same problem and am having no luck! PLEASE tell me you figured it out! Its driving me Nuts...
can we bring this thread back ? Having the same issue 2004 Land Rover, key fob and dash button only lock driver door. Driver door lock doesn’t stall or lag works perfectly. All the other doors do nothing… seems odd to be every door all at once (but the driver door) and be ALL the door motors at once.. this thread seems to tie all the doors together in one problem so let’s revamp it please lol

Old 06-26-2022 | 01:49 PM
Overlanding
Default What happened with this ?

Originally Posted by dan_t
I THINK I've diagnosed it down to the IDM.

Having searched the forum I decided to test the inertia system that should automatically allow all doors to be opened in the event of an accident - that did NOT unlock the doors.

I tried to power the relevent terminals on C292 to force the motors to unlock but I just got a dead short every time. I unplugged the IDM completely and successfully powered the motors.

I removed the IDM and cleaned up the green gunk in hope that it would help but with the IDM in place I cannot power the motors no mater what.

Still appreciate some input before I make a purchase.
did you resolve the issue? Didn’t you leave out the IDM is that even a viable option? And to confirm didn’t taking the IDM out fully solve the locking issue (doors then fully locked and unlocked by key fob) or did it just show the door motors were getting power.

Old 06-26-2022 | 02:57 PM
4wd Low

The likely issue is the unlock relay on the idm fuse panel. This was my problem. Discovery 2004.

I recommend that you get a copy of electrical schematic. Pull idm fuse panel and connectors. Manually jumper door controls to unlock. This will remove superlock. At least at this point, you can unlock doors from inside. I also snipped wire that enables superlock. I don't need it and I don't want this problem again.

There are a few threads with solutions. They are not easy. Land rover did not design these with a replaceable relay. They are soldered onto a double back board assembly. And the parts are discontinued with no direct replacement.

Buy a new fuse panel or a used on Ebay or other 2nd hand source.

One solution is to disassemble fuse panel and solder wires for external fuse assembly. This involves sawing or cutting multiple bridge pins between sandwiched circuit boards and then rebuilding this crazy setup in order to get to the backside of the board. I don't recommend this unless you are handy with a soldering iron and electronic schematics.

Andy23 (06-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Only drivers door will unlock