Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on the 03-04 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Opinions on the 03-04 Disco

We are currently in England,but headed back home to FL soon and starting to look at a few cars and have the 03/04 Disco II on our list. In the past, we have owned a 2000 Disco II when we lived up North in the US and prior to coming to England we had a 06 LR3 HSE that was very reliable. Can I get some input on the 03 and 04 years for the Disco please? Out here in England they are super reliable with the diesel engines and it is usually the rust issues that puts them off the road. I am also searching the forum, but would appreciate input from owners and others who are familiar with these years.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Solihull
We are currently in England,but headed back home to FL soon and starting to look at a few cars and have the 03/04 Disco II on our list. In the past, we have owned a 2000 Disco II when we lived up North in the US and prior to coming to England we had a 06 LR3 HSE that was very reliable. Can I get some input on the 03 and 04 years for the Disco please? Out here in England they are super reliable with the diesel engines and it is usually the rust issues that puts them off the road. I am also searching the forum, but would appreciate input from owners and others who are familiar with these years.
Depends what you want the D2 for? If just tarmac trucking and your state allows, get the super reliable TD5 diesel. Watch out for the 2003/4 rusty chassis as they are an issue. The autobox's are the same and very good and also the transfer units. The front and rear drive shafts are similar and are factory sealed un-greasable so get them checked for the cardan and the rotoflex rear coupling. Be careful in the UK as many vehicles are 'ringers' with the speedo clocks wound back or they have been the subject of a total insurance 'write off'. Also get it checked for ownership (some are stolen) also outstanding finance as the new owner becomes liable. There are various online agencies who, for a small fee, give you the history based on registration or VIN, a bit like a Carfax. The average mileage should be no more than 12k per year or less. Check you're not getting into a high mileage ex company car. The V8's gas engines in the UK aren't that common compared to the TD5's due to running costs and if you are after a V8 they retail a lot cheaper than the TD5. Also bear in mind the vast majority will be right hand drive and these days you will pay a premium for a LHD truck. One recommendation is a company called Switching Sides based in the north of England near Leeds, their vehicles are mostly LHD and usually an excellent selection of quality trucks.

Left hand drive cars for sale - buy LHD cars from Switching Sides, Leeds, UK

I have absolutely no connection or affinity to this outfit.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for your response and the valuable information. Just to clarify we will be buying this in the US as we are headed back soon. I will make note of all the items you have listed so they are checked out in detail. Is the head gasket a common issue on all the petrol 03/04 Discos?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:56 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Solihull
Many thanks for your response and the valuable information. Just to clarify we will be buying this in the US as we are headed back soon. I will make note of all the items you have listed so they are checked out in detail. Is the head gasket a common issue on all the petrol 03/04 Discos?
I had a 2000 V8 4.0 but it was new and was sold on with very low mileage so I can't comment personally. However, if you read this forum it mainly consists of engine problems with the V8 4.0 and 4.6 engines so there is obviously major problems with those engines. Personally I wouldn't buy or run a V8 LR for that reason and the abysmal economy at average 12mpg.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I have an '03 and it has been a pain in the @#$, but I love the truck. When running properly they are great cars to drive. The knock on them is that you have to like maintaining them. Using the right oil, and filter and servicing driveshafts. If you like to be proactive with maintenance go for it.

IMO they are really Roverish vehicles. The newer LR/Discovery's just don't have the same look IMO. Part of what I like about the Discovery is how unique it looks.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If there is any way you can legally get the TD5 out to the states, DO IT, even if it is RHD.

Disco 2s are pretty much worthless in the states, easy to get one for under $5k for any year. $2500 is not uncommon. Interior and everything is mint. Problem is the motor. Slipped liners, head gaskets, etc. The thermostat likes to clog and slowly over-heat your head gaskets until you have a $5k grenade motor on your hands.

Only the enthusiast use ultraguages to make sure temps are right, then you are babysitting it and praying it won't creep above 200F.

The actual response and torque of the V8 are awesome for off-road, I love it, it's just a flawed design and really the only headach (and a big one) to owning and maintaining a Disco 2.

Had the US been equipped with the TD5, Land Rover's reputation across the pond may have been completely different. The V8 is largely responsible for Rover being the LEAST reliable car manufacturer in the US of A for quite a number of years in a row.

It was so bad, they had to rename everything LR3 and LR4 because the name "Discovery" hurt their image. (Personally, I think it's a bad move, I'd rather drive a Discovery than some random three letters).

Problem is, I'm not sure customs will let you get the diesel through, even if the place you are going to live does not require emissions testing.