Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would replace both O2 sensors on bank 2 with Bosch direct fit units. Po 150 most likely means a dead upstream O2 and po 161 means the heater circuit in the downstream O2 is bad. Replacing an O2 is akin to replacing a spark plug they are wear items that need to be replaced periodically. There could be other issues causing po150 but without extensive testing with both a good scanner, and testing wiring and bench testing the upstream O2 with a multimeter your best bet is to replace both O2 sensors because they need or will need to be replaced soon anyway.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Same pattern as mine. Mine, all the misfires were on the left , 1,3,5 and 7 consistently. Its from my O2 sensor. Check if you unplug the right side O2 and drive it around. Youll get misfires on the other side as well. Your case has front and back O2 sensors that failed or failing. I am sure about this, I guess. LOL!
BTW, My plugs and coil was new when all were still misfiring.
How was it running before you replaced the O2's?
The last few days she was running smooth at idle but today was rough idle day. Granted I did not drive much but is was in the high 30's low 40's today and cold idle was pretty bad. Almost like she was going to stall.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:03 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
How was it running before you replaced the O2's?
The last few days she was running smooth at idle but today was rough idle day. Granted I did not drive much but is was in the high 30's low 40's today and cold idle was pretty bad. Almost like she was going to stall.
Mine was running unpredictable. Sometimes, smooth all the way until you go up hill. Sometimes, you can feel the misfire when driving slow. Im my case, the coils, wires and plugs were all new even adding seafoam. Im ready for inspection for now, pass the 100mi mark with no misfires. Good luck

Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Winching

Just a quick update. I am down to "only" two misfires now #5 and #6 as I wait for the new Upstream O2 sensor. I think the multiple misfires had something to do with fuel. I say that because I put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank at last fill up and she runs even smoother (certainly not perfect yet). I will replace the sensor this weekend either way and keep you posted.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Just a quick update. I am down to "only" two misfires now #5 and #6 as I wait for the new Upstream O2 sensor. I think the multiple misfires had something to do with fuel. I say that because I put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank at last fill up and she runs even smoother (certainly not perfect yet). I will replace the sensor this weekend either way and keep you posted.
One thing to keep in mind for the future is the fuel filter... we basically don't have one, which is another absurdity. If memory serves, and it often does not, we just have a little permanent mesh basket in the fuel pump. But Alex_M has an excellent mod to add a real, American, fuel filter for cheap somewhere on the forums. I think it requires some clamps, a measuring tape, something to cut the fuel line, and a filter with housing that can be bought anywhere. I haven't done the mod yet but I am self-inspiring right now.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Winching

I need some advice.
I cannot get the Upstream O2 sensor to budge
I have tried heat (torch)
PB blaster (When hot and cold) overnight
Even tried my impact wrench (video)
Given the choice I would always choose Impact over breaker bar but that is all I haven't tried.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Camel Trophy

I need some advice.
I cannot get the Upstream O2 sensor to budge
I have tried heat (torch)
PB blaster (When hot and cold) overnight
Even tried my impact wrench (video)
Given the choice I would always choose Impact over breaker bar but that is all I haven't tried.
O2 sensor nightmare - YouTube
Geez you get all of the luck. Wow. I've always used the o2 socket thing that I got on amazon for about 8 bucks. I have seen them at auto places too. But I always assume that an impact will take it off when nothing else will.

PB blaster.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Winching

Advance Auto Rents the O2 socket. I have used half of a can of PB on it in the last 48 hours.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Advance Auto Rents the O2 socket. I have used half of a can of PB on it in the last 48 hours.
Wow. The first time I took mine off it had been sitting for years and they were difficult. I used PB Blaster, a propane torch (on the bung, not the sensor) with the O2 socket. It will come off. When it does, be sure to use some antiseize on the new one.

The threads must be junky with rust.

I think you'll have a better grip on it with the 02 socket. If it isn't expensive you should hang on to it. Handy tool.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Same as mine. I got the O2 wrench from advance. Went under a got an 12 inch 1/2 or 3/4 pipe from home depot to extend the wrench handle and hammered it. Then pb blaster, then hammer it, repeat 3x. got it out.

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII