Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

BTW, did you try some injector cleaner?

Old 03-19-2016, 05:33 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
BTW, did you try some injector cleaner?
On our second bottle

Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Two Rock
Just to be clear Bank 2 is the passenger side bank, left as you face the engine
Code read last night indicated P0160 No activity Bank 2 Sensor 2. P0150 O2 circuit Bank 2 sensor 1.P0161 Heater circuit bank 2 sensor 2. Also misfires for every cylinder on that side 2 4 6 8 (4 is new). I did pull the plug and clean and put dielectric grease in the connector prior to pulling the codes
One positive note on the way back and before the codes were read and just after I cleaned the O2 connector it ran and has run as smoothly as ever. New gas and injector cleaner working through the fuel system maybe?

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 03-19-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Code read last night indicated P0160 No activity Bank 2 Sensor 2. P0150 O2 circuit Bank 2 sensor 1.P0161 Heater circuit bank 2 sensor 2. Also misfires for every cylinder on that side 2 4 6 8 (4 is new). I did pull the plug and clean and put dielectric grease in the connector prior to pulling the codes
One positive note on the way back and before the codes were read and just after I cleaned the O2 connector it ran and has run as smoothly as ever. New gas and injector cleaner working through the fuel system maybe?

Same pattern as mine. Mine, all the misfires were on the left , 1,3,5 and 7 consistently. Its from my O2 sensor. Check if you unplug the right side O2 and drive it around. Youll get misfires on the other side as well. Your case has front and back O2 sensors that failed or failing. I am sure about this, I guess. LOL!
BTW, My plugs and coil was new when all were still misfiring.

Last edited by LR03NJ; 03-19-2016 at 08:39 AM. Reason: add more comment
Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Same pattern as mine. Mine, all the misfires were on the left , 1,3,5 and 7 consistently. Its from my O2 sensor. Check if you unplug the right side O2 and drive it around. Youll get misfires on the other side as well. Your case has front and back O2 sensors that failed or failing. I am sure about this, I guess. LOL!
BTW, My plugs and coil was new when all were still misfiring.
It's so odd because it is running so much smoother since I cleaned the upstream one.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
It's so odd because it is running so much smoother since I cleaned the upstream one.
I am not sure how you'll be able to clean O2 sensors. They degrade in time. They are in constant high to extreme temperatures. Before you got the car, you have no idea how long it was in that state. The down stream O2 sensor is there to check and compensate the upstream sensor. If both on one side is failing, then the problem will exist. It will drive smooth for sometime and sometimes hesitant to roll but I have driven my disco for years with the engine light on until its time for inspection. I even had to use a longer route to avoid steep uphill highway. Good that there were an exit there before you get to the peak. Then I got another project disco recently with the same issue. Then I got the gauge to be able to check codes myself and fix them. I got afraid that those misfires can cause damage to the cats and that will be more expensive to repair. Refer to the RAVE manual for another ideas you think the cause might be and also with a lot of help from forum members with their experiences. It can be done, one problem at a time. My mechanic gave up on the rover so I have no choice but to do it like what youre doing now. Actually, it made me proud in a way that I was able to get all those codes fixed one by one but also because of the members in this forum. Once fixed, first test I did was to drive that steep uphill highway and pass couple of cars with no hesitation. My mechanic probably just reset the codes each time so engine light shows up the next day.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Winching

I cleaned the connector

Old 03-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Before even starting all this, after replacing the plugs, I would've Seafoamed through the sai line on the intake and one in the tank. Just so I would know I had a fairly clean engine as a baseline.

I see you are on your second bottle of injector cleaner. But which one? If its not Seafoam or BG 44k then I would suspect its not going to work. Seafoam and BG are awesome and they work better than any others as far as i know.

Also, I will confirm bad 02 sensor can cause misfire codes. I've seen that in Honda's several times.

Last edited by The_OGCJR; 03-19-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Disco buckeye you cleaned the connector on the upstream 02 sensor then u read the codes? Did u clear the codes after u cleaned the connector? Did u inspect the wiring to the 02 sensors?

Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Two Rock
Disco buckeye you cleaned the connector on the upstream 02 sensor then u read the codes? Did u clear the codes after u cleaned the connector? Did u inspect the wiring to the 02 sensors?
I cleared them after I cleaned the connection.
Got the SES light later and got
P0158 Circuit High Bank 2 Sensor 2.
P0150 Sensor Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1.
P0161 Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2.
No misfires on the other side now.

Honestly most times at idle it is so very smooth now.
Needed a victory today so I connected the new rear wiper arm and it works! I have yet to pop off the rear door panel to connect the washer line.

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII