Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Haha!!

A mechanic told me to check the heads at home by pouring water in them (off the truck) to see if any gets past the valves. Not the most scientific test but I've done it a couple of times and you can tell when the valves are not seated properly.
I am going to try this but I will use lighter fluid so what ever does not leak through, I will set on fire just because...

Old 08-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I am going to try this but I will use lighter fluid so what ever does not leak through, I will set on fire just because...
I like that way of thinking!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Winching

So I'm cleaning up the front of the block and I see these two blue/green paint splashes. Certainly we put nothing past the factory when they made these badboys however, it made me wonder if it meant anything. Thoughts?

Old 09-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cleaned mine off and saw the same thing.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Annnd.. I saw the same thing on my block and Abran had replied with this:

The mark that actually grades the block is under the valley pan on either cylinder 5 or 6. Most of the time oil has eaten it away. It’s a simple paint dab in either blue, yellow, or red.

So, i think everyone has the green marks but the other colors mentioned above indicated the block grade, red being the best.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Annnd.. I saw the same thing on my block and Abran had replied with this:

The mark that actually grades the block is under the valley pan on either cylinder 5 or 6. Most of the time oil has eaten it away. It’s a simple paint dab in either blue, yellow, or red.

So, i think everyone has the green marks but the other colors mentioned above indicated the block grade, red being the best.
I think mine is a very special green lol

Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Winching

Radiator is finally out and so is the crank pulley. Now to the front cover and pan.

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 09-06-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Radiator is finally out and so is the crank pulley. Now to the front cover and pan.
Just throwing this out there... last time I had my radiator out I swapped either a transmission cooler for an oil cooler (or vice versa... I can't recall which is big and which is small) on my setup so I would have two large coolers attached to the radiator rather than one big, one little. I got it from a donor but they are widely available and no combustible fluids are required for the project.

Never one to shy from controversy, it would also be a good time to do the Chevy thermostat conversion. Again, no flames or explosions involved, so a boring project.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Just throwing this out there... last time I had my radiator out I swapped either a transmission cooler for an oil cooler (or vice versa... I can't recall which is big and which is small) on my setup so I would have two large coolers attached to the radiator rather than one big, one little. I got it from a donor but they are widely available and no combustible fluids are required for the project.

Never one to shy from controversy, it would also be a good time to do the Chevy thermostat conversion. Again, no flames or explosions involved, so a boring project.
Thanks Charlie.
I did get a new radiator as well. I do have a question. I can't find the jigsaw puzzle for the condenser, cooler and radiator in the RAVE. It is the only thing I didn't keep very good track of when I disassembled. It probably is the thing I should have kept track of. so many parts

Old 10-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Winching

Just before oil pan install

Front cover on

New cam in and at TDC

Cleaned up the pickup

Pulling the old cam

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII