Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out of balance

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out of balance

recent issue has be baffled (00 discovery) after driving for around 20 plus minutes it feels as though a tire is badly out of balance or that the lug nuts have come loose .
Not sure where I should start looking I was thinking possibly torque converter issue or possibly harmonic balancer anyone ever experience simmuler issues?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

In that first 20 minutes or so, are you doing slow speeds?....like trying to get to a highway?
Im assuming you have rebuilt and frequently lube your driveshaft.
i dont think its a torque convertor problem, you would feel that right away

Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

are your 3 amigos on?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Three Wheeling

DgI 07,
Thanks for the help
Yes I recently did both the front U joints all though I didnt replace the center ball, if it was driveshaft issue I would think I would notice this all the time do you think I should pull the front shaft lock the transfer case and test drive for a while.
Most of my drive is around 55mph the balance is so bad that when it happened the first time I pulled over to check all the lug nuts.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Hilltopersx,

No amigos

Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Pro Wrench

that would be a start..start eliminating all the stuff that cant be it. we have eliminated transmission (for the most part).
pull the front propshaft, and test drive it. if thats not it, check your rear rotoflex, if you still have it. also check that rear u joint. everyone talks about the front prop shaft but people rarely give love to the rear propshaft and u joint.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks,

I myself am leaning towards the front shaft I will follow up in a couple days.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would do this - first check the rotoflex for cracks if it looks good then pull the front shaft lock the cdl and try it, if that is good, pull the rear shaft put the front back in lock the cdl and try that.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 05gixxer
DgI 07,
Thanks for the help
Yes I recently did both the front U joints all though I didnt replace the center ball, if it was driveshaft issue I would think I would notice this all the time do you think I should pull the front shaft lock the transfer case and test drive for a while.
Most of my drive is around 55mph the balance is so bad that when it happened the first time I pulled over to check all the lug nuts.
Well there is your screw up, you took the easy way out and didn't rebuild your shaft properly. I would stop driving it this morning or you will loose the shaft and possibly the tranny.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Well there is your screw up, you took the easy way out and didn't rebuild your shaft properly. I would stop driving it this morning or you will loose the shaft and possibly the tranny.

Disco Mike, please believe me when i say i mean no disrespect but you kinda ruined this with your immediate answer. Someone has to teach these guys how to diagnose problems on their own. You jumping right to the answer isnt teaching these guys anything. I understand that they also risk destroying parts in the process but if they never learn how to diagnose, then you have the same ten threads over and over again. Everyday i see the same ten threads, truck wont start, vibrations, suspensions and tires....and more times than often, its the same parts that need replacing. no-one is learning how to fix their truck, they come on here, get a quick answer and replace parts. Please your doing a great service with your answers and at the same time a dis-service with not showing anyone how to get to those anwers. Again i mean no disrespect.

Quick Reply: out of balance