Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out of balance

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, but for the most part, they don't learn till it is too late and I hate to see such a huge screw up/expense cause some one did a repair wrong.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

(takes flame reisistant suit off)

so do i, but generally, you can tell the morons who just want an answer from the guys who actually are very concerned with thier trucks and wanna learn how to not only fix, but diagnose at the same time.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Generally the latter group will ask WHY after being given an answer.

It's really that easy. If you don't ask why, it's safe to assume you don't care and just want to be back on the road.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench

i guess so daryl. i just really hate to see the same ten threads time and time again.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

By all meens why tell the guy he did something wrong, let he blow his shaft and tranny that will teach him. After he's out $4k I'm sure going to tell everyone who will listen just how good a truck Land Rover are right.

That should help the resale and Land Rover aftermarket bussiness, right.

I think your missing the point of help thy fellow man or should I use the word (edited). Because that always makes people fell better when they are looking for help call them a (edited).

Yes the post are repetitive but just dont read it, skip over it like eveybody else does.

Thats way you can see a post that has been veiwed 30 times and has no responce, do you really think the other 30 people did not know the answer, that your the only one.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-17-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by drowssap
I think your missing the point of help thy fellow man or should I use the word MORON. Because that always makes people fell better when they are looking for help call them a Moron.

Thats way you can see a post that has been veiwed 30 times and has no responce, do you really think the other 30 people did not know the answer, that your the only one.

looks like i took off my flame resistant suit too quick.

1. I have never called anyone a moron for asking for help. If you want, feel free to look throught all my post, never once have I insulted anyone for asking for help. We all need it from time to time. I have even contact disco mike asking his advice, but not after seaching profusively.

2. I think you're are missing the point. I am fully aware that everyone knows most of the fixes for our trucks. what i am getting at is very few people actually know how to get to those conclusions. Thas all i want, is to show people how to get to those fixes, with a diagnotic approach. I would hope if its a driveability issue that they would park their trucks until the issue has been sorted out.

3. I see the same post with 30 views and no replies. I trying to remedy that cause obviously, 30 looked at it, and had nothing to say. They dont get the concept of help thy fellow man or as you put it MORON.

Im trying to help people. You are trying to get on my back cause im trying to help people correctly.... So that being the case, get off my back. Go flame someone else cause i am not the one.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys,

Mike yes you are correct I should have replaced the center ball with the U joints, problem was these things were on back order from summit and the original still looked pretty good all needles still intact I gave it some fresh grease and finished up with new U joints.

The main reason for posting on this was that I have had U joint drive/ shaft issues with past vehicles and this feels nothing like anything in the past but then again I have never had center ball issues it just seems to me that this issue would present itself all the time not just after driving for 20 plus minutes I will be pulling shaft tonight though and will happly follow up..

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Winching

gixxer did you mark the shaft before you removed it (in other words, did you put it back on the exact way you pulled it off)?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling

No sloan I didn't but being that I drove this for couple months with no issues after the repair I don't believe that this would be the cause plus I believe that a problem as your suggesting would be present all the time...Thanks for your help though.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Winching

Drive shafts are balanced. You can try to remove and mount the drive shaft 180 degrees from where it is currently (0 dollar and easy thing to try).

Agreeing with you though, the vibration is more than likely your ujoints.

If you still have a vibration after spinning the drive shaft half a turn...remove it and have it rebuilt correctly or just order a new one off Great Basin Rovers or Tom Woods (Great Basin Rovers is what I would do).

Quick Reply: out of balance