Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out to pasture...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011 | 10:09 AM
|
Drifting
Angry out to pasture...

I swear im about to take my 2001 D2 out behind the house and shoot it full of holes... every time i fix one thing, something else breaks. I just got my truck running again due to a bad battery i had to buy a new one. Anyway, now the idiots at Wal-Mart broke my nipple on the radiator for the return line to the coolant resivor. All that is left on there is about a 1/2 inch of the broken nipple for the return line to sit on. I used a hose clamp and tightened the hose down real tight on it but it is still leaking. is there any way to replace this nipple without replacing the whole radiator? Oh, and the people at wal-mart says that it was not thier fault cause it was already broke. thier words.

Old 12-07-2011 | 10:21 AM
TReK

So your issues are :

#1 Bad Battery - That's just part of car ownership, you'll deal with that at some point no matter what you drive. If you think it's a hassle to get your Rover running because of an old battery.....yikes

#2 Wal-Mart broke something on your radiator. Did you have them working on the radiator? Sounds to me like that is THEIR fault, no matter what they say. If you've already accepted their "no fault" then you might be out of luck.

You could threaten them that you'll get a lawyer if they don't repair what they broke.

----

In summation, don't take your truck to Wal-Mart unless you are parking it in the parking lot to go inside for some terrific bargains.

Old 12-07-2011 | 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I feel your pain. But please, please, don't take your Land Rover to Wal-mart for anything other than a trip to the auto dept to buy your own Rotella. The highest educated person in the auto department may not top 8th grade. I am very weary about letting anyone that does not know and love Land Rovers touch my truck.
Yesterday I even hovered over the guys at Discount tire to make sure they were using a 27mm on my lug nuts and that they would not scratch my powder coated rims. They still did but probably less than if I was not stand there. They were very nice and I handed out a $20 tip for their extended effor of getting my bastard bridgstone dueler tires off our crazy bead locker rims. Putting the new tires on was easy. Getting the old ones off took 10min a tire.

Old 12-07-2011 | 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

see: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ghlight=nipple

But be warned, repair of a plastic radiator tank is a bandaid, and if it fails in a big way, you could have damaged heads or make a sleeve break loose.

You might have success with a nylon threaded to b-a-r-b fitting, threaded into old fitting, because nylon expands at same rate. or a double-b-a-r-b fitting and some JB Weld.

If old radiator cracked from work, it was about to go anyway. Fix it, and a new crack may open up. Can you get away with a temp fix, like sealing a plastic rad hole with a melted zip tie? Yes. Will it last? Only the Rover Gods know. And from what you have said, you are already on their poop list...

Partstrain will sell you a new radiator for $230.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2011 | 07:54 PM
Team Owner

When I worked at Safety-Kleen and I was at a Wal-Mart to collect their used oil I saw one of their "techs" remove the drain plug on a brand new F-150 and drain the oil.
The car infront of the truck left and there was a car waiting outside, so he started the truck, moved it forward 15 ft and then shut it back off.
He then went back under the truck and changed the filter and put the drain plug back.
I was like "WHAT??!!!??!!"
He acted like it was no big deal.

Old 12-07-2011 | 08:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
When I worked at Safety-Kleen and I was at a Wal-Mart to collect their used oil I saw one of their "techs" remove the drain plug on a brand new F-150 and drain the oil.
The car infront of the truck left and there was a car waiting outside, so he started the truck, moved it forward 15 ft and then shut it back off.
He then went back under the truck and changed the filter and put the drain plug back.
I was like "WHAT??!!!??!!"
He acted like it was no big deal.
..... To the OP, dont shoot your truck. Go to Walmart and shoot that "tech". That guy is no tech. He's a grease monkey. Pffftttt, calling him a grease monkey is insulting to grease monkeys!