Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating issues

Ok i have replaced the radiator, waterpump,thermostat and electric fan. I finally got a chance to drive it tonight after talking with a guy who may want to trade for an older bass boat. I drove it about 18 miles and it stayed steady and didnt overheat at all. Heat stayed constant and everything seems fine. I pop the hood and notice a slight hiss from the overflow tank. I called my friend who is a foreign auto shop owner and he says that its normal to hear a little from the overflow from time to time on a rover. I have bled the system 2 times via the t tube on the top radiator hose and it has pumped a little air out each time. Thats what scares me. I dont want to give this guy a giant piece of crap so i wanna make sure its not going to overheat. Is the distance i drove long enought for something to happen? thanks for any info. I have since bought a lr3 so dont have much need for the disco 2, wife says i cant keep it...lol

Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your friend is silly it it not normal to hear a hiss coming from a rover coolant tank. Have you replaced the cap?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Not with a new one. Only with one he has on an old disco 2 that a customer never picked up.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Ask your friend to loan you a scanner, so you can see the real coolant temps in digital fashion. If they are stable, great. You could also have him do an exhaust gas in coolant test, a $60 test kit does maybe 15 tests, he may stock them (Rovers are not the only trucks with head gaskets).

Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I did the exhaust gas test on the overflow and didn't get a color change. I did it for about 10 min but did it when it was cold. Does the truck have to be warmed up to so that test?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

I'd try it fully warmed up, but if you are not hearing the bubbles pass thru the heater core under the dash, you may be in the clear. Here's pix of something to look for with the scanner. And you may want to look at https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...light=download for the new ride.

Attached Thumbnails over heating issues-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-27-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling

No bubbles. What worries me is opening the coolant tank I have a rush of coolant back into the tank as well as gurgling as the water comes back to the tank. Does that sound right?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm thinking I haven't gotten all the air out of the system.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

You may be right.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Well I messed with it last night. When I got there the coolant tank was almost empty. Oil level good and no leaks on floor. What would cause it to be empty. It didn't overheat the night before to shove it out the tank. I filled it up and fired it up again. Got to normal temps and had good heat. Bled the system again. I'm going to check it tonight in hopes that the tank is full. Bleeding a coolant system shouldn't be this hard. I think I'm just gonna sell it for cheap. Let whoever know what's going on. I don't want to trade this guy even though he really wants it. If te coolant tank is full tonight I'm gonna drive it again and see how it does or if the hiss is there after shutting it off.

Quick Reply: over heating issues