Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating 2000 Disco Series II TD5

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheating 2000 Disco Series II TD5

Hi all!

Sorry to make my first post about a problem I'm having with a 2000 Series II Discovery TD5, but here I am!

I've read around a bit in an attempt to research the problem. With the following thread giving a good check list.

However I'd like to run the problem by you guys for any extra info.

Basically the Disco is overheating very quickly now and appears to be boiling off/discharging water through the over flow.

The following is the chain of events
  • I drive about 100km and then the temp starts rising dramatically and finally peaks. The vehicle also loses power (electronically controlled??)

• I immediately pull over and idle the engine, opening the bonnet and the check the levels.

• The fan is running full tilt and the header tank level is almost empty and steam is blowing out from the cap.

• After the engine has run for about 5 minutes the temp has stabilised and the fan switches off.

• I'm able at the point to unscrew the header cap to top up..
    I partially unscrew it (not take it off, just to release pressure)

• at this point the cooling fluid rushes back into the header tank, I screw the lid down hard again.. and the header tank level drops to almost nothing again.

• I repeat these steps a couple of times until at some point the coolant ceases to flow back in the header tank.

• I'm then able to top up the fluids and drive off carefully again.

The car seems to be functioning perfectly apart from this..

any additional help/tips would be appreciated.

p.s. I'm on the road in Montenegro and need to do some kinda stop gap repair.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

This forum is populated by MOSTLY people in North America, and there are just a handful of TD5 here, mostly in Canada now that they are 15 years old and eligible for import. While some of our members might be able to help with basic troubleshooting, you'd get faster, more applicable help from a forum populated with users that were able to buy TD5 when they were new. I'd suggest a forum in the UK or Australia. The Australian Land Rover Owners - AULRO.com is a great forum with lots of helpful people.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
7th Gear

Sweet bro! thanks for the tip!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

don't be surprise if it is a cracked head on a TD-5

Old 09-25-2014, 09:45 AM
7th Gear

kinda prepared with the worst.. but hoping for something simple.. will check to see if there is water in the oil later today.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keen to see how you go man I have the exact same problem overheating after say an hour or just over and I've replaced water pump, thermostat, hoses, flushed system, new coolant had a mechanic bleed it every time and it still overheats on long drives

Old 05-06-2020, 02:34 PM
7th Gear

5char

Last edited by Jamie Telford; 05-07-2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 05-06-2020, 02:45 PM
7th Gear

Yup... I traced the problem to the fan assembly itself.. It has some kind of viscous fluid clutch which operates in a temperature range.. This wasn't working as designed (fluid drained out? Or went bad?) I ended up using cable ties to lock the fan (plastic part) to the clutch shaft part.. After this no more overheating.. Working!

I'm sure this field fix would cause problems in cold climates, but it kept us on the road for that trip.. Was tricky to diagnose as the fan was always spinning.. Just not actually spinning at the same speed as the motor..

Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give it a go, did you have to do any long term fixes and any chance you have pics ? 😄 Thank you so much for replying

Old 05-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

@Jamie Telford Glad it was something simple and that is the is the issue with clutch fans figuring out if they are working they tend to alway spin, but as you discovered they may not lockup.

Quick Reply: overheating 2000 Disco Series II TD5