Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating horror

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default take a breath..

Originally Posted by urslow4711
thanks guys, for all your information. i am at a decision making point if it is worth trying to fix or not. if it isnt the water pump and it is a head gasket i could be into the thousands for repairs. also what if the block is cracked..... so i hate to say it but i think selling as is for like 2500 is a good idea. unless a lot of you want parts, i will part it out to you if i can get enough people to buy stuff. idk what to do anymore this car is a complete POS and i dont think anyone on this site should even consider keeping theres. i mean for the amount of money you put into it for it just to drive is dumb. and aluminum heads???/ this thing sucks. british cant make gaskets to save their life, and for a ounce owned by ford vehicle, well found on road dead, its fixed or repaired daily, and backwards dont rely on ford.

You are right... They are big POS... trust me if they where airplanes no one in there right mind would get in.. i know i wouldnt. If you can turn a wrench and know of a good machine shop you can make the truck pretty dependable for not alot of money. Ther are some pretty sharp people on here who keep there POS going pretty well. i kept a RR going for 300,000 miles and yes, there where moments....alot of them... i would have enjoyed blowing the POS up but hey ....it's just a truck and all trucks and cars are really big POS...all of them....If you need some help email me and i will try to help you out..

Good luck, Chris

Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey 4711,
I feel your pain. I was there not so long ago.
Have you checked your thermostat yourself? I got conned with a repair shop saying it wasn't the Tstat. Turned out they were just setting me up for a full cooling system replacement -starting with the thermal clutch for the fan. Anyway long story short - I called them on it and tested the Tstat myself. It was jammed closed. This caused the engine to boil over intermitently depending on the length of the trip, heat of the day etc.
If you have a D1 you can take it out and run it without, D2 you would have to cut the guts out of the inline Tstat. Both you can test in a pot of boiling water. you should see them open up in the hot water.
You can check your coolant for oil and CO2 (you will need a kit) and check your oil filler cap for milky white gunk or condensation - either of these will point to a head problem.
I've owned my D1 for 12 years and it has always got me home.
Every problem i've had with it has been as a result of poor maintenance, incorrect parts or shoddy workmanship.
Now I do all 3 myself!

good luck!
________
Zoloft sickness

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, 4711, I hope you've found a solution or have made peace that this vehicle isn't for you. You will go broke taking it to a shop for everything - despite the "discounts" you might get at some of them.

My first car was a Honda CRX w/ 135K on it. I bought it for $500. I wanted to learn about cars and, since I worked at a Honda dealer as a service writer, I had access to affordable help and parts. At $500 I knew what I was getting into. I literally replaced all the vacuum hoses (there are TONS in that thing,) the entire exhaust (A and B pipes/muffler, etc.,) radiator, head job/gasket, plugs & wires, etc. Additionally, I replaced parts like window regulator, door panels, grills, etc. It was the best education I ever received.

The point is, that with just about *any* vehicle - not just Land Rover - purchased with 140K miles on it (without a service record) can yield the same exact story you've told here. Overheating is one of the most frustrating issues with any vehicle because it's a don't-drive-or-else-go-broke issue, but with a little patience and understanding (and luck if not too late) you can get her back into operation.

-Anthony

Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I came off as HARSH I apologize- I was justing being realistic,

Thermostat replacement is one of the simple tasks on a Discovery, so he got burned on that at $600.

It sounds like the vehicle has seen multiple episodes of overheating and continued driving, which can only add to the problem(s) and costs. And as was pointed out any vehicle purchased with that kind of miles and lack of complete documentation can't be considered a Beauty Queen. If you were expecting to fire it up and cruise trouble free, you will continue to be extremely upset with it.

Education is expensive, wheter it is a dignified institution of higher learning, or the hard cold facts of everyday life. I did not want to pamper him and tell all would be well.

Welcome to Life With A Rover, if you keep it, download the Rave, PRINT WHATEVER PAGES APPLY TO THE TASKS YOU ARE GOING TO DO AND HAVE A BLAST. That's what I do.

Peace be with you, and Remember the following Chant to the Rover Gods:

Please Rover Gods, Don't Let ME SCREW UP ANYTHING THAT ISN'T ALREADY BROKE OR ALMOST BROKE. Failure to do so may result in you going broke much sooner than you are prepared for>>>>

Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did you get it figured out yet?

Did you make any progress with it? I sincerely wish you the best with whatever path you choose to take.

Please forgive the redneck showing thru in my original response. It was kind of in the "Larry the Cable Guy" frame of mind. If any of you are familar with Blue Collar Comedy (Jeff Foxworthy and his crew). I could have been more subtle like "Here's Your Sign" like Bill Engvel.

Did youy see the Chevy Chase movie "Family Vacation" where the Griswolds were headed to Wally World and Clark drove his brand new station wagon thru the barricade? Remember the repair shop guys? "You ain't too bright are you boy?"

Keeping it or still undecided? I feel your pain when your supposed to be Dream Machine turns into the Money Pit from Hell.

Just out of curiosity, what do you fellows think a reasonable sale price would be for such a vehicle with the conditions this unfortunate fellow has encountered?

What would any of you be willing to pay if he were to decide to cut his expenditures and bail at this point?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Did you make any progress with it? I sincerely wish you the best with whatever path you choose to take.

What would any of you be willing to pay if he were to decide to cut his expenditures and bail at this point?
I think these things have different values in different parts of the country. While your wording was harsh in your original post (there's your sign ) , your value is dead on in my book - $1000.

It would be better to part it if you are not going to fix it and, have the time 4711. I will take that radiator of your hands - I need one right now. That is not why I am suggesting parting it out, I'm just sayin'...

Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Overlanding

Im having a similar issue with mine. It only gets hot under load. If I just coast or go really easy she stays fine. any ideas?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V3NOM
Im having a similar issue with mine. It only gets hot under load. If I just coast or go really easy she stays fine. any ideas?
I had the same symptom and my problem turned out to be cracked head and blown gasket.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by V3NOM
That's exactly what mine did. Blown head gasket - head condition yet to be determined...