Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overlay Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overlay Harness?

3 amigos went on and 2001 disco serviced at dealer and code P4047 apparently came on. They replaced the right rear hub and abs sensor and mis amigos went away. Well, a few weeks later here they are again. Went back to dealer to have them refix the hub, they won't do it. Said now it is the overlay harness for the right rear sensor. Reading the codes now an additional $111.
I spoke to another service shop at a different dealer, they are not sure what the overlay harness is. And they don't recognize the code.

This sounds like I getting taken for a ride. Any ideas? Is this a DIY?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Overlay Harness?

Yes it sounds like you are being taken for a ride.
I have no idea what the overlay harness is of if it even exsits.
The first dealer is required by law to supply a 12 month 12,000 mile warrenty on all parts that they install on your car, as long as they were new factory parts.
You are also entitled to view your old part and even take it with you in some cases.
Can you verify that they did indeed replace your hub and not just reset the code?
I would have the other dealer look at it and verify that the work has been done, if not I would be calling your states attorney general, and LRNA.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Overlay Harness?

With further research I found the part may be, overlay harness (part#: SWO00020),. I have been looking in the rave PDF and can't find it anywhere. Apparently this part connects the abs sensor to the SLABS ECU.
Any one know about this? Can this be a saturday mechanic DIY?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Overlay harness

Originally Posted by sharp
With further research I found the part may be, overlay harness (part#: SWO00020),. I have been looking in the rave PDF and can't find it anywhere. Apparently this part connects the abs sensor to the SLABS ECU.
Any one know about this? Can this be a saturday mechanic DIY?
Got the same problem. Left rear sensor replaced but still showing an error. The tech says it is the overlay harness and is 2-3 hour job but simple. He reckons just buy a twin core 14g cable and run it as per page 7 & 8 of the attached.

I have got to do it this weekend.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
abs_sensor_overlay_harness.pdf (266.9 KB, 3765 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for posting this with the overlay harness.
My brother may have this issue on his D2

Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes it sounds like you are being taken for a ride.
I have no idea what the overlay harness is of if it even exsits.
The first dealer is required by law to supply a 12 month 12,000 mile warrenty on all parts that they install on your car, as long as they were new factory parts.
You are also entitled to view your old part and even take it with you in some cases.
Can you verify that they did indeed replace your hub and not just reset the code?
I would have the other dealer look at it and verify that the work has been done, if not I would be calling your states attorney general, and LRNA.
Well by the way your dealer has treated you in another charge, I hope you don't use him in the future.
Also to clear Spikes warranty statement Rover is required to cover all labor and parts for 1 year and unlimited miles but not for problems that may be similiar but have not been addressed in the past should as a non-related code for the ABS 2 weeks after the last repair.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Overlay harness connector pinouts

I have a official Landrover D2 Overlay Harness for the LHR ABS (Made in Germany so it must be good). The dealer says it is most likely a break in the loom somewhere. So now it all comes as a continuous cable from the brake to the ABS unit. I have checked it all out before attempting the job and I have a query or two.

The instructions tell me to remove connectors 7 & 8 from the plug for the rear LH side unit. However the connections on the plug have no numbering so does anyone have drawing please?

Secondly no replacement crimps came in my kit so I guess I am going to have to cut the original 2 wires and crimp the new cable on.

Thirdly one of the wires on this connection is obviously an earth but it has been cut and the end in the loom has some new cable crimped on and is now earthed to the body under the ABS unit.