Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owned my Disco for 3 years, time for maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owned my Disco for 3 years, time for maintenence

Hey guys, I've owned my '02 Disco for 3 years now, it has just over 50K and its time to do a Brake job and a tune up (It was a factory cert used, they put new Rotors, Calipers, etc on before we took it home). The mileage has gone down, and while I'm working in Africa my wife took the car to the dealer for a window that wouldn't go up, and they said there was only 2mm of pad left.
My wife only puts about 30 miles a week on the car, so I think it should be all right to wait a week to do the Brake job. What do you guys think.
My other question is where do you all buy your tune up parts, Brittish Pacific is at least on my coast, so shipping would at least be a little cheaper. Just curious what others do and what you all think?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Owned my Disco for 3 years, time for maintenence

Here is my list I tell people to do especially if they are unsure of what has been done in the past and plan on keeping the truck for some time. If you have any questions you can call me in Colorado at 303-862-7680.
Mike
This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service the way I do it.
1 Oil filter , K&N 3001
1 Air filter
1 Transmission filter kit
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W gear oil
2 Qts of Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transsmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt if not yet replaced
2 Bottles of SeaFoam

60,000 Mile Service
Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Flush the coolant system
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both od the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.
Mike

Old 05-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. We bought the car certified factory used from the dealer. They gave us a printout on what was done to the car while it was leased, and what they did to it before they sold it:
They (Dealer) put on all new rotors, and calipers for the brakes. They also put on a new serpentine belt.
The previous owner had all service checks done to it with maintenence according to the Land Rover service passport it came with. This at least documented a transmission and transfer case service at 30K along with differential fluid changed at that time.
We have owned the car since its had 34K on it, and all I have done so far are regular oil, filter, and lube. I put a K&N air filter on, and the vehicle has perfomed flawlessly. It just seems to be running a little rougher however and I know I'm getting close to the Landrover recommended tune up. I realize we drive less than average, and attribute this for the tune up time.
Would you still change the transmission transfer case, and diff fluid now, or wait untill 60K? I was going to just put on new pads, and do plugs and wires right now, and stay on the recommended schedule for the time being. I guess I should do a coolant flush, with the aluminum block and all off of the calendrical time period. I didn't think about the power steering fluid, but I will do it now also.
I have seen some posts about the Sea Foam, and I from what I understand that just removes deposits from the engine, is that right? I have never used such a product, but if you guys recomend it I guess I'll try it.
My last question is where do you get your parts? I guess local parts houses will have the plugs, wires, and brake pads. Or would you buy them from one of the Land Rover internet outfits?
If I am going to order it I will do it while I am out of town (I'm working between Africa and Europe right now and won't be home for a week) so the parts are there and I can get the work done while I'm home.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, get rid of the K&N, it will kill your MAF unit due to il residue getting on the Maf from the filter.
Service intervals, in your case, are scheduled for every 30, 60 90K and so on, they are also based on time, so yours is up for all of them, assuming you want it to be as trouble free as possible. There are also plenty of options on parts or fluids, some good some not so good.
Get in touch when you get ready to tackle this project, I would be glad to walk you thru it and show you how to save some prett BIG $$$ doing it yourself.
Mike