Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen Sensor battle...yes battle

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxygen Sensor battle...yes battle

So after a sharp decline in mpg a while back, meaning just under 1/8 of a tank only got me 20-30 min of driving and no fuel leaks. I decided to replace all 4 02 sensors and call it a day. They were factory at 125k anyway. Question....going to get freezing rain tomorrow and i still am not able to put the impossible driver's side pre-cat sensor in but i did get it out. both post-cats have been replaced and passenger pre-cat is factory. Could she make it a few miles to a friend's garage to finish the job?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO yes at moderate speed, will sound loud because of open hole from O2 sensor. Anything meltable near that? The exhaust coming out will be hot!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Mudding

Seems to be all metal around it thankfully. Not too far down the road nothing over 30 for sure. thanks savannah. Didn't know if the electronics would even let it start.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

You'll have codes.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude.

all you need is the appropriate sized open end wrench that is 10+" long and you can get that sensor out of there with little issue. you really do not need a special tool or anything. just a lot of light and the proper angle of attack.

easy peesy

Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

I think he go the old one out, but somehow can't get the angle to install the new one.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Mudding

correct. old one is out but the new one just doesn't want to to go in. keep slipping in at angle that will cross thread. And Joe yes you are right the open ended wrench was the only thing that could get at that. I'll give it a try after the Christmas presents are wrapped today. Don't want grease on them haha. happy holidays by the way.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

you can just put the old one back in a few turns help keep the noise/fumes down too, and to double check that the threads arent already botched! ie. if the old one doesnt go in either, the first few threads might be squished ha. see if you have any old thread antiseeze baked in the threads, take a qtip, dip it in some pb blaster and see what kinda crud you get out of the threads, put more anitseeze on the new o2 if its already all off and try again slowly by hand if you can fit it up there and manually get it down a few threads before switching to a tool jsut to be sure.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My two cents

I recently replaced mine. Both driver's side sensors were relatively easy (heavy emphasis on "relatively"). Rear passenger, I could not reach up to find the connector. Had to re-group and buy the Bosch with the universal connector kit - basically left original connector in place and added the second connector downstream. Pain in the a-- but straightforward.

My big issue was the front passenger side. Probably the easiest one to get to, but this thing was practically welded in place. When I failed, I took it to a shop, thinking maybe I was just a wuss. To my perverse satisfaction, the shop couldn't remove it, either. Ultimately, I went to Meineke, and they basically cut it out and welded the new one in place. Sounds extreme, I know, but if I get 100K miles out of it, so be it...

I feel your pain.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Mudding

i like the q-tip idea.....much better than doing the same with my finger and then cutting it on the threads.....now who would do something as dumb as that.......the truck does run with it out. couldn't get to the friends garage because of work schedules but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so out into the cold again. thanks guys

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor battle...yes battle