Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0134, P0420 & P0441 ...Where to start to solve these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Thats a great price for both. Do you need adapters or just weld them directly after cutting? So, were you able to finish your Davico project? Thanks for doing the price check. My truck need to pass DMV.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thats a great price for both. Do you need adapters or just weld them directly after cutting? So, were you able to finish your Davico project? Thanks for doing the price check. My truck need to pass DMV.
If you're in NY or NJ I believe they make a cat specific for NY smog tests. It will say something like Magnaflow New York or Walker New York. They're still listed at $75 each at places like AutoZone. My muffler shop's rate was $65 per cat to cut and weld in ($20 extra per side because they have to drop the pipes to make the welds.

The Davico project was not possible to finish. The angle of one of the pipes was off and would not fit right. I returned it to Rock Auto for a refund. Ended up working out better. The Davico Y-Pipe would be $336 and just buying 2 cats myself and having a muffler shop do it ended up at about $290 total.

What I found out was if you can get the cats yourself, the welding labor is under $200 to install. Shops want to charge $150 or more PER CAT if they provide the cat. It is much cheaper to get them yourself and just pay a welder to install it.

I still haven't done the job yet, still finalizing what cats I want to go with.

Last edited by jamieb; 04-07-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by jamieb
If you're in NY or NJ I believe they make a cat specific for NY smog tests. It will say something like Magnaflow New York or Walker New York. They're still listed at $75 each at places like AutoZone. My muffler shop's rate was $65 per cat to cut and weld in ($20 extra per side because they have to drop the pipes to make the welds.

The Davico project was not possible to finish. The angle of one of the pipes was off and would not fit right. I returned it to Rock Auto for a refund. Ended up working out better. The Davico Y-Pipe would be $336 and just buying 2 cats myself and having a muffler shop do it ended up at about $290 total.

What I found out was if you can get the cats yourself, the welding labor is under $200 to install. Shops want to charge $150 or more PER CAT if they provide the cat. It is much cheaper to get them yourself and just pay a welder to install it.

I still haven't done the job yet, still finalizing what cats I want to go with.
Good that you were able to return the Davico. I was thinking you cut the pipes already. I went to auto zone yesterday and saw a flexible exhaust joint and thought about your predicament but it will take more cutting and welding to accomplish. Plus, under truck is tight and no room for this hack. Cheers!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Good that you were able to return the Davico. I was thinking you cut the pipes already. I went to auto zone yesterday and saw a flexible exhaust joint and thought about your predicament but it will take more cutting and welding to accomplish. Plus, under truck is tight and no room for this hack. Cheers!
I still have my homemade exhaust with flexible joints and pipe, and the rest of the rover exhaust. It is in a pile under a bush (where I put failed projects). My first HG blow ruined my cats catastrophically so I just cut them out and use flex fittings and pipe. It was LOUD. Any flex pipe within a few feet of the exhaust manifold is super loud. I even wrapped them. Just made it slightly less loud. I ended up with Davico pipes too but mine weren't as bad as Jamie's. They still aren't right, though.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:25 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
It is in a pile under a bush (where I put failed projects).
Hahaha! I hope your bush grows faster than your failed rover projects! Thats an idea too. Ill start planting this spring. I need a taller bush.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I see new Cats (I hate cats) in my future. Are the Davico just galvanised?
Galvanized does not last very long up here.
Had a Gibson Exhaust on my Expedition years ago. Love the sound but it only lasted 3 years.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I see new Cats (I hate cats) in my future. Are the Davico just galvanised?
Galvanized does not last very long up here.
Had a Gibson Exhaust on my Expedition years ago. Love the sound but it only lasted 3 years.
I might need to clarify something - I am NOT recommending the DAVICO at all. They were the wrong fit, poorly designed. The driver flange was the wrong angle and the pipes were not spread apart enough. I would avoid DAVICO. Some guys have had luck, I just think the quality inspections aren't there to guarantee they all are the right specs before shipping.

I've switched to keeping my existing pipes and welding on some Magnaflo cats. Down here in Texas no salt, no rust, undersides of cars stay pretty new looking.

That said, I think they are part stainless - the Davico. Here is what did NOT work for me:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....441339&jsn=324

Last edited by jamieb; 04-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Hahaha! I hope your bush grows faster than your failed rover projects! Thats an idea too. Ill start planting this spring. I need a taller bush.
It is a decent race to see which will win. The bush has a slight edge at the moment. Parts are put there so they will KNOW how disappointed I am.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Camel Trophy

If you order Davico, get two from different vendors with good return policies. ONE of them might be properly formed and usable.

Jamie's was horrible and mine (I am now disclosing) ruined my front driveshaft by rubbing the seal off and flicking off the balance weight before I manually bent it with a ratcheting strap, and my passenger flange takes stacked gaskets because it is not at the right angle. It is also too short so everything behind it is pulled forward just enough for the pipe to tap a bolt on my driveshaft with the deft symphony of a dental drill, at idle.

It is going under my failed parts bush this weekend.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, quick update on my situation... if P0134 supposedly reports "No Activity" being detected by the ECU from the #1 O2 sensor in Bank 1, why would my TORQUE OBDII reader show all four O2 sensors working while driving? I also forgot a small detail, the P0134 code is shown under "Pending Faults", it hasn't been confirmed as a "Logged Fault", any hints? thanks!

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 04-07-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: P0134, P0420 & P0441 ...Where to start to solve these?