Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0134, P0420 & P0441 ...Where to start to solve these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:00 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

When you need to purchase an O2 sensor, I would suggest go check an Auto parts place near you. Why, sometimes you get them DOA and it will waste much of your time sending and waiting to get a replacement back if purchased online. It comes with warranty anyway at least a year. Easy replacement and no hassle. IMO

Oh btw, get the recommended one like Bosch

Last edited by LR03NJ; 04-05-2016 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
If you drove on a misfire for any amount of time the cat is almost definitely dead.

Definitely replace the O2. No point in testing it, the computer isn't getting any signal at all. Be sure to use genuine Bosch. The cheapies don't work, I've tried.

Consequences would probably be a $40 exhaust ticket. Of course, without emissions testing the chances of anyone knowing is slim to none. I'm also in a state without emissions testing and I removed my cats. Bad gas mileage, down on power, puts a strain on the engine and may eventually lead to misfires or simply not running at all due to excessive backpressure due to the clogged cat.
...thanks for your response Alex_M! ...and yes, fortunate us that can dodge that exhaust ticket bullet for now, as per removing the cats, did that prevent "Bad gas mileage, down on power, puts a strain on the engine and may eventually lead to misfires or simply not running at all due to excessive backpressure due to the clogged cat" on your end? what are the cons of driving without the cats? ...thanks again! ;-]#

Old 04-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
As Alex said, misfires kill cats. What happens is the misfire results in raw gas in the exhaust, which then can eat the catalyst in the cats. Also, unburnt gas in the cats will actually detonate in them. If you've ever seen the inside of a cat it is basically a dry honeycomb. Since all of your exhaust on that side has to pass through it, when the catalyst clogs up with goo or breaks into dust your engine can't push out exhaust and it won't run. On my Titan it has two cats per side. I had a bad spark plug and that destroyed my first cat, which then disintegrated, and the crumbling catalyst blew down and clogged the second one. I couldn't drive over 3 miles an hour when that happened. It sucks.

So the O2 definitely needs to be replaced if it is actually plugged in. It is possible that the connector has gunk in it or is just dangling so check that first. The engine will continue to run badly if the purge valve is bad so I'd also replace that too, and they are cheap.

You might be the luckiest person on the planet and a good running engine might heat up your cat enough to burn off whayever is giving it issue, but I'm afraid you will end up replacing it, too. That's expensive.

Forum wisdom is to replace the O2s in pairs (both left and right front), at least. I'll admit that I have sometimes just replaced the malfunctioning one. Alex's advice to get genuine Bosch O2s is a money saver... If you get other brands they usually fail quickly.
...Charlie_V thanks again for taking time to better explain, I really appreciate it! ...so when you say "I'm afraid you will end up replacing it, too. That's expensive." you're talking about the cat, right? ...as per replacing the 02's, from the codes that I have mentioned, it is the "front ones" the ones that need replacing, right? and yes, I'll replace the Purge Valve too... again, thanks for your help! ;-]#

Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...Charlie_V thanks again for taking time to better explain, I really appreciate it! ...so when you say "I'm afraid you will end up replacing it, too. That's expensive." you're talking about the cat, right? ...as per replacing the 02's, from the codes that I have mentioned, it is the "front ones" the ones that need replacing, right? and yes, I'll replace the Purge Valve too... again, thanks for your help! ;-]#

Yes I meant the cats.

You need at least one front O2 sensor per the codes you posted. The back O2 sensors do nothing other than monitor your cats. So if you live in an area where emission testing is nonexistent you don't care about the the rear O2 sensors then they aren't a worry... unless the service engine light bothers you.

You can pay a shop to replace the cats by cutting the old ones out and welding new ones in, but that is generally more expensive than just buying a new y pipe with the cats already on it (the y pipe goes from each side exhaust manifold to a single pipe that enters your muffler).

OR you can cut and weld yourself if you have welding equipment. Universal cats are cheap. The trouble is that the passenger side cat has offset pipes in and out, and most universal ones require a straight pipe. As always there are ways around it but you have to be or know a welder.

Also, on the passenger side it has to be just right because the cat is in a bad location right next to the driveshaft. I probably have 1/8 inch between my cat and driveshaft and it drives me NUTS. BAD FOR THE DRIVESHAFT.

I am assuming replacement of both cats. Maybe you can do just one (I've never done that so I'm not sure).

Old 04-06-2016, 09:20 AM
TReK

Yes I meant the cats.

You need at least one front O2 sensor per the codes you posted. The back O2 sensors do nothing other than monitor your cats. So if you live in an area where emission testing is nonexistent you don't care about the the rear O2 sensors then they aren't a worry... unless the service engine light bothers you.

You can pay a shop to replace the cats by cutting the old ones out and welding new ones in, but that is generally more expensive than just buying a new y pipe with the cats already on it (the y pipe goes from each side exhaust manifold to a single pipe that enters your muffler).

OR you can cut and weld yourself if you have welding equipment. Universal cats are cheap. The trouble is that the passenger side cat has offset pipes in and out, and most universal ones require a straight pipe. As always there are ways around it but you have to be or know a welder.

Also, on the passenger side it has to be just right because the cat is in a bad location right next to the driveshaft. I probably have 1/8 inch between my cat and driveshaft and it drives me NUTS. BAD FOR THE DRIVESHAFT.

I am assuming replacement of both cats. Maybe you can do just one (I've never done that so I'm not sure).

I 2nd to Charlie_V's suggestion. I saw earlier that one of the members Jamieb had an estimate of the work. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-cats-78673/
I'll go for the Y but have not replaced mine yet or knowing that the magnaflow stainless steel Y is an exact fit. Welding is difficult and most likely you have to remove the entire Y as well to weld the top part of the pipe. I think you could fit them first, cut, and spot weld before finishing the weld completely. In the end the exact Y fit will be economical in the long haul. Cheers

Old 04-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Winching

...thank you all for your input and insights!

Last night I ordered the Hyundai Purge Valve and should be arriving by the 12th, also bought online from Advanced Auto the Bosch O2 -it came out to almost $63 after a good online discount, will be picking it up later in day when I get off work, and on my way home.

I plan to get under the Disco this weekend and first check if it's really plugged in and/or gunk-free, even swap them to confirm if it's really not working before plugging in the new one, all that after figuring out which side us the one giving the no-reading, if driver or passenger side.

After that I hope for these two codes to go away, maybe even the third with some luck.

As per the cat situation, I'm no welder, nor I intend to change the cat if necessary, but if the push comes to shove, I'll guess I'll be in the market for one!

Thank you all again! ;-]#

Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

I was quoted 900 parts and labor, plus tax, for two cats by a real, old school, quality, neighborhood muffler shop staffed by friendly, hard working, dirty, experienced, people who contribute to my local economy.

So I ordered the complete y pipe and flange gaskets from eBay (no tax, free delivery) while sitting in their reception area. Then left.

The weekend after I installed the y pipe I took my family to Hot Springs in the selfsame Rover for a weekend paid for by my savings.

I still had money left over.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-06-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 PM
TReK

I was quoted 900 parts and labor, plus tax, for two cats by a real, old school, quality, neighborhood muffler shop staffed by friendly, hard working, dirty, experienced, people who contribute to my local economy.

So I ordered the complete y pipe and flange gaskets from eBay (no tax, free delivery) while sitting in their reception area. Then left.

The weekend after I installed the y pipe I took my family to Hot Springs in the selfsame Rover for a weekend paid for by my savings.

I still had money left over.
The best O2 story with a happy ending. Ill do the same then, but I'll go get a massage with a happy ending.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Came across this thread. I bought my bolt on Davico Y-pipe with pipes and cats for $332 shipped. Spent a day installing it and it was out of spec and would not bolt on without leaking. Spent a second day removing it and put the old pipes back on.

Went to a muffler shop today. Quote is $170 to cut old cats out and weld new cats in.

Advance Auto has Magnaflow 94105 cats for $75 each. With 20% off coupon online, that's $120 for both.

$120 for 2 cats plus $170 labor = $290 total for 2 new cats installed. I plan to do this next week.

MagnaFlow Universal - Fit Catalytic Converter, Overall Length - 13 in. 94105: Advance Auto Parts

Quick Reply: P0134, P0420 & P0441 ...Where to start to solve these?