Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0303 Misfire Cyl 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default P0303 Misfire Cyl 3

I am pretty sure this code always means an ignition fault and not something else like an injector. Is that correct? I replaced spark plugs and still get the code. It got too dark or I'd be out there trying other stuff. I know now it's not the plug. The wires are fairly new so I'm afraid it will be a coil pack. Any wisdom? Thanks.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm skeered of the dark also, what with all them zombies lurking in the brush.

But it is the best time to look at the coils, boots, and wiring for light from small arcs making it misfire.

Replacing the spark plug wire with another - and seeing if problem stays there at #3 is one way to look for it.

Hope #3 does not have coolant on the plug. Usually head gasket leaks are 1,2 7,8; the "end" cylinders. The "middle" cylinders - if leaking coolant, can be cracked block behind the cylinder liner.

If you want to know about codes read the RAVE shop manual. Or the Bosch ECU manual. All in links below.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It wouldn't be an electrical problem with an injector, that would be a different code. It could be a plugged injector or an injector stuck open I suppose. Probably not though.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling

I was hopeful for a few moments. There were no arcs to be seen in the dark. I messed with the cables a bit, moving them a bit looking for signs of arcs as far back as I could see. Nothing. So I started it and cleared the code. It seemed to be running just fine. Then I got a P0300, random misfire. That was replaced by the P0303, Cyl 3 misfire again. Whoever thought it was a good idea to mount the coil packs back there ought to be taken out back and beaten for a while.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

plugs, cable or coil pack. I would try one more new plug first, if not its time to pull out the wrenches.

One last thought, did you change the right plug? Drivers side, (american steering) second from the radiator

just as a guide

Coil Packs
Passenger Side
8 5 Top
2 3 Bottom

Driver Side Pack
61 Top
47 Bottom

Engine: Cylinders
Back of Engine
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
Front of Engine

Old 12-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
plugs, cable or coil pack. I would try one more new plug first, if not its time to pull out the wrenches.

One last thought, did you change the right plug? Drivers side, (american steering) second from the radiator

just as a guide

Coil Packs
Passenger Side
8 5 Top
2 3 Bottom

Driver Side Pack
61 Top
47 Bottom

Engine: Cylinders
Back of Engine
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
Front of Engine
Nice, Simple, Layout. Thanks for future.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling

I changed the right plug. I have the revised cylinder number and coil pack layout diagram, but thanks for the reply. What about coil packs, should I buy the Bosch or is aftermarket okay? Should I replace both while I'm in there or just the one? Advance Auto has one that's pretty cheap compared to the Bosch. Rovers North has the Bosch available as each unit or as the assembly. Two times the price of each Bosch unit is less than the assembly together. The bracket can't be worth that much. If there's any advantages to one way or the other, I'd appreciate hearing about it. It's going to snow here soon and the Rover doesn't fit in my garage. This might not be very much fun. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I put aftermarket coils in my 1999 D2. Never had any issues. I've probably still got that OE coils. I'd give them away for the cost of shipping, but ONE of them might be bad. I don't think replacing them fixed my issue, but I don't recall all of the steps I took

Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Just change that one wire from a cheap one from the autoparts store.
Don't even bother to make it proper or fancy.
Drive it a few days and see how it goes.

If it fixes it - then get the whole wire kit and replace all the wires.

Put the little booties on the wires as seen here.
The sox.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, there's definitely no spark at the #3 plug. Now whether it's the wire or the coil pack. I'm leaning towards the coil pack because about a year ago I had a cyl 3 fault. I checked and cleared the code and it went away and didn't come back until this week. I figured it was just an anomaly. So now it's back to stay and I have no spark. I would think if it was the wire a year ago, it would have stayed then. More likely that an intermittent that comes back is something more complicated than a wire. I think if a wire is going to fail it would just fail. Now I'm going to order the coil packs and replace them both. I figure if I go to the trouble of replacing one, I may as well replace them both. If that's faulty thinking, let me know. I seem to remember someone posting some time ago about changing the coil packs without all the disassembly. Is that possible? Is it worth trying? Thanks.

Quick Reply: P0303 Misfire Cyl 3