Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0455 and gas caps

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

By chance do you have a LEV (low emission vehicle)? It uses a different strategy for detecting leaks. A pressure leak that it detects might not be found doing a smoke test.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtonder
By chance do you have a LEV (low emission vehicle)? It uses a different strategy for detecting leaks. A pressure leak that it detects might not be found doing a smoke test.
Well, I do not think so. I have never considered that. I do not have my rave on this computer so does anyone want to chime in?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Mudding

I believe there is some labeling for an LEV under the hood, so if you haven't seen it, you probably have the standard. The only reason I mention it is that the leak detection uses a small pump that is stationed next to the vapor canister under the truck. It pumps the system up about 10 seconds after you shut the truck off. You'll hear it start. It detects leaks by determining there is a pressure loss instead of a vacuum loss as in the standard vehicle. A leak under pressure may not show up as a leak under vacuum, which is found using the smoke test.

If you trust this stranger enough to PM your VIN to me, I can check it in Microcat and send you the vehicle information.

Last edited by rtonder; 07-08-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: One more thing
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Mudding

Mine has the said pump, its just funny to associate LR discovery as low emissions lol, yep instead of vacuum leaks, that pump pressurizes the evap system to check for leaks, adds more fun to the troubleshooting game, im dealing with a 0455 code too right now and cant shake it off.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

My 03 Disco II triggered an evaporator valve problem at Emmisions PO455 yesterday. This happened last year and I changed the gas cap and it passed. Not this year.

I just got home from a visit to my mechanic the problem is the neck of the gas tank. He said it is a problem inherent to the 03 & 04 Disco II. The part is $940. My truck runs great and there is nothing wrong with it from a performance and reliability standpoint, but I am going to have to shell out $1100 to pass emmisions?

Sounds like the same problem you are describing, but I have not seen it mentioned above. Any ideas? Anyone know where can I get this part cheaper?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Mudding

Most dealers will not attempt a repair on anything associated with emissions due to federal regulations. Because fuel evaporation is regulated, anything to do with the fuel system is technically part of the emission system as well. The repairs might be very minor, including repairs to the filler neck that might be accomplished with a dab of silicone on a connection. A smoke test while the engine is running would reveal the leak.

If you have an LEV and the patience, spray soapy water on the various connections, and then inspect while the pump is running. You may find the leak and be able to correct it.

(I should have said that the dealers will replace, but seldom fix, an emission related part.)

Last edited by rtonder; 07-08-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Mudding

Good idea Rick, next time I hear that sucker running I will try that on mine, cool thx.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Save your self some time and headache. I took my 2000 to the dealership 5 times for the same lrg em leak and they said it was the gas cap every time. After they replaced the cap five times I said screw it and pulled my dash apart and put a piece of electrical tape over the SES light behind the actual cluster. That took care of my problem... NO SES light ever.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by rtonder
I believe there is some labeling for an LEV under the hood, so if you haven't seen it, you probably have the standard. The only reason I mention it is that the leak detection uses a small pump that is stationed next to the vapor canister under the truck. It pumps the system up about 10 seconds after you shut the truck off. You'll hear it start. It detects leaks by determining there is a pressure loss instead of a vacuum loss as in the standard vehicle. A leak under pressure may not show up as a leak under vacuum, which is found using the smoke test.

If you trust this stranger enough to PM your VIN to me, I can check it in Microcat and send you the vehicle information.
My wife says I do not pay atention to much of anything so the labeling could be there. I will check ASAP. If it is not I will go ahead and send you the VIN.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The gas filler tube is usually the problem. I have seen many warp while hot but be coming fine during an evap test. Usually when the car would sit outside in the hot sun the issue would occur. Usually we put a gas cap and if that doesn't fix it, it needs a new filler hose.

actually somewhere in my notes from training there was supposed to be a cutoff vin for the issue but apparently not.

Quick Reply: P0455 and gas caps