Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0455: What am I supposed to do?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]

(and Offroad, if you’re reading this I know that it doesn’t sound like I’m an engineer, but really, I am – I’m just not that mechanical..
)
I believe you, I'm just an 'un-civil' civil engineer who plays with cars, trucks and mechanical toys. If I were you I'd dump that V8 bl@@dy gas guzzler engine and get yourself a TD5 smelly, stinky diesel .................. they're less trouble and cheaper to run.

I talk to my trucks .................... but I can't publish what I say to them ........... it's illegal ............. it's called 'cussing' ........................ very rudely

Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Not ready to get rid of Bertha yet, Offroad

Update!

I drove around with the new gas cap for a week and the light still didn't go out (thought it may?..) - this morning I went over to autozone again and the friendly lady was no where to be seen. So I asked a man. He was kind of nice?.. not as nice as the friendly lady last week but hey, I'll take what I can get. I explained the situation and asked him if they clear codes.

'We cannot do that' he said. 'I can sell you your own code reader (OBD II) for $99.99 or we have a lesser quality for $89.99.'

'Hm.. I read that I can buy a code 'clearer' on the net for $30.00 - think I'll pass on the OBD II but thank you'.

'Most likely the next thing on your list is the evap canister and I would take it to a garage to have them diagnose that before going any further, yada yada.' he said.

'Oh, ok. Well the guys on the friendly Land Rover forum on line told me that it's most likely the purge solenoid so I'll probably look into that.'

'Yes, that could be the case. I would have to say that that is likely the cause but you just never know. Just a minute...'

(Man walks off and I hear him talking to another man in the depths of the parts aisles behind the counter)

I sing a little song to myself.. waiting, waiting, waiting... I'm not a patient person but I did my best to remain patient.

'Ok, here's the deal. There is a way that you can clear the codes yourself.' as he whips out a receipt paper, turns it over and starts to scrawl and state loudly:

Disconnect Battery
Turn Ignition On
Step on Brake and hold for 30 seconds
Turn Ignition Off
Reconnect Battery

'That should clear your codes'.

'Ok, thank you very much. I will try that tonight if it stops raining'

JUST as I started to turn around to leave he says 'Or.. we have an OBD II that you can borrow and you can try to clear the codes yourself'

Ooo.. I can see why you guys like these little toys. I was a button pressing maniac - checking it out and playing in the rain as I pushed buttons to my heart's content.

Codes are cleared now and light is out!

Hopefully it stays out - we shall see... thanks for all of your help and suggestions

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 08-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Unfortunately KD, anything automotive, technical or building when a woman walks in all they see is a cash register and dollar signs. It's the same the world over. Generally women don't argue with them and pay up politely and nicely and very rarely tell them straight or to **** off. Well done and your perseverence has won the day and you clocked one up for equality. Most women here just quietly accept and are resigned to being the downtrodden 'underclass' and don't even argue in shops when they've been overcharged but unfortunately for them they come up against 'stroppy' Brits occasionally who don't take 'non' for an answer ................. I wonder who that might be?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Replacing the purge valve is a piece of cake. That'll probably fix your problem.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
...'Hm.. I read that I can buy a code 'clearer' on the net for $30.00 - think I'll pass on the OBD II but thank you'...
If you have a laptop/notebook computer that runs either Win7 or Win8 you can buy an OBDII device that includes software (freeware) for about $15 from China. Search "ELM327" on eBay and you will find several choices. I bought one about two years ago and it works just fine.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Unfortunately KD, anything automotive, technical or building when a woman walks in all they see is a cash register and dollar signs. It's the same the world over. Generally women don't argue with them and pay up politely and nicely and very rarely tell them straight or to **** off. Well done and your perseverence has won the day and you clocked one up for equality. Most women here just quietly accept and are resigned to being the downtrodden 'underclass' and don't even argue in shops when they've been overcharged but unfortunately for them they come up against 'stroppy' Brits occasionally who don't take 'non' for an answer ................. I wonder who that might be?

Non.. not you! Thanks Offroad. It felt good to be able to do it myself and 'get r done'. Now I just need to tackle those wiper blades....motivation did not strike me last night

Old 08-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Fast951
If you have a laptop/notebook computer that runs either Win7 or Win8 you can buy an OBDII device that includes software (freeware) for about $15 from China. Search "ELM327" on eBay and you will find several choices. I bought one about two years ago and it works just fine.

I will check that out - thanks!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have that code also. It started with the gas cap. It was brutally tough to tighten so I bought a new one. Now the light comes on again when the gas gets low. That's what my P38 did when it needed the valve except cleaning it with carb cleaner did the trick. No such luck on this one. I bet if I could cycle it while I cleaned it that it would get clean enough but at 120k it's probably just about done anyway. Regarding the valve, it looks to be the same one for the Sonata, Santa Fe and quite a few VW's. Is that the case? Funny how the price seems to vary depending on model year and vehicle while the image looks to be identical.

Regarding the codes, I have a blue-tooth dongle I bought for $12 that I use with my laptop to read and clear codes. I loaded Digimoto Lite to get live data and read the codes. You can also use them with any android tablet or phone. No luck for iPhones. Eventually, I bought a $100 unit like Super Sport talked about in his thread so that I could read, bleed and clear the ABS codes but I still use the $12 one for domestic cars.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to chime in here.

I had the purge valve code for a while. About 2 months ago, I took the hoses off the valve and sprayed it out with electrical cleaner. No codes since.

I did this same "fix" on the purge valve on the porsche this past weekend, and it cleared that code as well.

Sometimes you can simply get rid of the muck that is hindering the mechanism

Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Just to chime in here.

I had the purge valve code for a while. About 2 months ago, I took the hoses off the valve and sprayed it out with electrical cleaner. No codes since.

I did this same "fix" on the purge valve on the porsche this past weekend, and it cleared that code as well.

Sometimes you can simply get rid of the muck that is hindering the mechanism
Worked for me, too... Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: P0455: What am I supposed to do?...