Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0500 Code...Damn it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0500 Code...Damn it!

So I got my first code today, so I finally feel like a real rover owner now. Anyway, The code that came up was P0500, I have noticed lately that my speedometer has been going off and on. I replaced the battery and had the alternator checked and it stoped doing it for a while, then on a recent trip it started back up and the check engine light came on. As far as everything else, it all seems fine...just my speedometer is being a dick.

Questions:

Where is the speed sensor(s)?
Good place to buy them?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see attached

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
vss d2.pdf (945.4 KB, 2934 views)
Old 10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
see attached
I appreciate that, are they easy to get to and does anyone have a good idea of where to pick some up cheap.

Last edited by kmyer01; 10-17-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe there is a VSS on a D2, it is derived from the ABS sensors and relayed by the SLABS unit to the ECM. There is also a sensor that tells the ECM if the transfer case is in high or low. On a D1 it is on the transfer case and does send the actual VSS signal.

From the RAVE electrical manual for a D2:

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

DISCOVERY SERIES II
Road speed signal
The SLABS ECU outputs a road speed signal from pin C0504-3 on a KG wire to header
C0290. From header C0290 the road speed signal is passed on KG wires to the following
ECU pins:
��

Cruise control ECU pin C0239-15
��

Engine Control Module (ECM pin C0637-22 on V8 engine vehicles and pin C0658-13
on Td5 engine vehicles
��

Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) ECU pin C0647-5
��

ICE Tuner/Amplifier pin C0491-20
��

Instrument pack pin C0230-16
�� Air Temperature Control (ATC) ECU pin C0792-2 via splice joint A87.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Savannah Buzz thanks for your help... I believe I found an explanation I can understand. I'm not a mechanic, just a weekend wannabe.

Wheel Speed Sensor Failures
Wheel speed sensor faults are a very common occurrence. Where as the actual failure of a wheel speed sensor is not a common event. The most common Logged ABS wheel sensor faults are caused by worn brake pads. A worn brake pad or even some new non-Land Rover Brake pads can set up a resonance vibration in the wheel hub. This vibration can interfere with the ABS sensor signal. When the ABS sensor signal is interrupted an ABS wheel speed sensor fault can be logged. Best advice is to clear the fault and take the vehicle for a test drive. Other causes of the wheel speed sensor fault can be caused by a bad wheel hub. Recommended approach is to inspect the wheel hub and make sure the hub does not have excessive play. A bad wheel hub can cause the ABS reluctor ring to deviate from the sensor range.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, D2 averages the signals from all ABS wheel sensors, and sends that computed average to several other modules to control things, display speed, etc. It would be called a Vehicle Speed Signal, but there is not a Vehicle Speed Sensor like is used on D1.

From Rave:

The SLABS ECU continually calculates vehicle speed using the wheel speed inputs from all four ABS sensors. The
calculated vehicle speed is then used as a reference against which individual wheel speeds are monitored for
unacceptable acceleration or deceleration. The ABS sensor inputs are also used by the SLABS ECU to detect vehicle
deceleration rate, vehicle cornering rate and rough terrain.
The engaged forward gear and (on manual gearbox models) the clutch status are computed from the engine data
input, the engine speed input and vehicle speed. Reverse gear status is provided by an input from the reverse lamp
switch (manual gearbox models) or the BCU (automatic gearbox models). On automatic models, the BCU also
provides the neutral selected input.
In addition to controlling the brake related functions, the SLABS ECU:
l
Controls the operation of the self levelling suspension (SLS) system (where fitted).

l
On V8 models, outputs a rough road signal to the ECM when traversing rough terrain.

l
Outputs a vehicle speed signal.

The vehicle speed signal is output to the following systems (where fitted):

l
Active Cornering Enhancement.

l
Air conditioning.

l
Cruise control.

l
Engine management.

l
In-car entertainment.

l
Instrument pack.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.