Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0705 - Help, I can't take the bus any longer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0705 - Help, I can't take the bus any longer

Hello fellow problem solvers.

Discovery 2004 SE7 4.6L Automatic
153 472km (95920 miles)

I'm a pretty handy DIYer, been working on all my cars and take fun doing so. I want to fix the problem myself for knowledge and personal satisfaction so here's what's going on.

Transmission has always been giving an extra push between the 2nd and 3rd gear but I didn't mind it as transmission rebuild scares the heel out of me. Here's whaty happened

I am having issues with my what i believe to be the XYZ (transmission range sensor) switch.
2 weeks ago, M&S started flashing. I would turn the truck off and back on and the light wasn't showing anymore.

Last week, I had the truck get into what I think is limp mode. Scanned it and came up with P0705 PRNDL circuit. Looked up on the web and couldn't believe it was related to a battery/alt but I checked it with my local mecanic and everything is fine with the charging system.

For now, when driving I put the transmission in 3rd gear and M&S lights are OFF. As soon as I put it in D (drive) or R (reverse), M&S come ON.

Before ordering any parts, is there someone who has had the problem and can confirm my story and that XYZ switch is the problem.

Thank you for your help,
Alexandre from snowy Canada

Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

it sounds like you are on the right track with the switch. you can have a look at it for corrosion. it happens and can be cleaned

btw
welcome aboard. problem with responses were not personal, but just that you posted for tech help in the new member section, as opposed to the d2 section. i'll move it. maybe get more responses

Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
4wd Low

thanks for the info, as I'm new to the forum I'll keep in mind posting in he right section. But again, my wife tells me that I am mostly an idiot...hehe

Foir the XYZ switch, the rod linked to the sensor is attached to a nut and that nut seems to be well rusted. Is is standard or some LR nut which isn't standard? Will replace it if possible.

For cleaning the inner of the sensor, will brake cleaner do it? or something lighter should do the trick? any suggestions?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I've seen throttle body cleaner used. I'd probably use a quick dry like brake cleaner.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM
4wd Low

and to clean connections, i though using sanding paper, should i use 150 grit? 200? 600?
I had an electronic prolem with windows actuators, sanded down the connections and now they feel like new, could it do the trick?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:18 PM
4wd Low

Went at it this week end and lights are off.

I took the switch off the rod that connects in the transmission and cleaned everything. Didn't put any anti seize or lubricant back on it (should I have?)
Let's see how long that lasts...

For the connector that plugs into the harness, wasn't able to pull it out. Tried everything but once again it was way to stiff even after sitting in the heated garage for 2 days. Corroded brackets made it impossible to get the shaft out of the way and had to work around it, get someone with tiny monkey hands to help you if you happen to live somewhere they use salt to de-ice roads.

Any ideas on what can be done to make this easier?

Then when I'll manage to ge the sensor off, to open it, I need to bust a few rivets and install screws to hold everything together, what have you guys been using?