General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:30 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?

I have a 2010 Autobiography that I'm just starting to dive into. So far I've located several bus systems:

HS CAN
MS CAN
CCP CAN
LIN
MOST

Since most of the interesting modules are connected to the MS CAN, I'm going to start exploring that one first. I figured I'd start with adding random features, like setting it to Access Height when placed into park. Longer term I'd like to add keyless entry, depending on how the key broadcast works.

In any event, I've found almost NO information online or in forums about hacking the proprietary modules conencted to the CAN bus. I'm sure I can't be the first, so I'm hoping to connect with folks that have perhaps gone down this path before me.

Anyone out there know any more about this which is me (which isn't hard, I'm new to it!).

Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You really don't need to hack anything.
As far as the eas dropping to access when putting in park all you have to do is press the access mode button on the window sw pack before you stop, when you put it into park it automatically drops to access.
You can open any door with the key fob in your pocket and start it the same way. it remembers what seat position was last used for the remote you are using.
And please don't try to F@#k with anything until you are out of warranty.
These vehicles are tough enough to diagnose can bus problems.. especially problems that are from an outside influence..
You could start off and familiarize yourself with the vehicle by reading the Quick start guide,owners manual,and infotainment manual. That should keep you busy for a couple of days...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 PM
4wd High

Um, yeah, thanks. I think you're missing the point. I could take the bus too but I don't.

If you've already disassembled the codebase in IdaPro and rewritten chunks of it, then you're in a position to caution me. Otherwise, while I appreciate the bump, this doesn't advance the topic much.

- Dave

My 69 Pontiac has a 427 too but the factory put it there!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Um, yeah, thanks. I think you're missing the point.
I guess I don't get the point as to why you would want to change the functions you mentioned

The systems:
EAS(eas lowering when put in park) has already been designed into the vehicle, so you just want to eliminate the press of a button before putting it into park? just seems like a lot of unnecessary code writing for something that is already programmed

Keyless Entry and Keyless Start. Do you want to eliminate need to have the key fob? So whenever you park your vehicle in public anyone can enter it at any time???

If you've already disassembled the codebase in IdaPro and rewritten chunks of it, then you're in a position to caution me.
No I have not, and hacking is not my profession.
You are already aware of the consequences of altering vehicle data, so I guess you need no cautioning.. sorry

My 69 Pontiac has a 427 too but the factory put it there!
Pontiac never made a 427ci engine. It is more than likely a 428.
I'm sure it's nice though..

While I appreciate the bump, this doesn't advance the topic much
Since I have nothing to offer here I will refrain from littering your thread

Cheers, and good luck with your endeavor

Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
I guess I don't get the point as to why you would want to change the functions you mentioned

Pontiac never made a 427ci engine. It is more than likely a 428.
I'm sure it's nice though..

Cheers, and good luck with your endeavor
It's 99% curiosity. But yes, Pontiac made a 427. It's call the 427 Astro Jet. Here's a picture of the emblem, so you know I didn't misread it :-)

Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-427emblem-png.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Mona Lisa Vito never would have fallen for that one!

Crazy Canadians...

Old 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM
4wd High

I don't catch the Mona Lisa Vito reference, but I'm not kidding about the Pontiac 427...

Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-aircleaner.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Dave Plummer
I don't catch the Mona Lisa Vito reference, but I'm not kidding about the Pontiac 427...
I know.. you got me with the 427 deal.
That's a Canada Vehicle correct??
I was referrring to Marisa Tomie in the movie My Cousin Vinny
(she never would have got that wrong)

How about a photo of the whole vehicle. I'd love to see it

I know this isn't helping you but Here's mine (with the wrong engine)
Name:  P1010176.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  135.6 KB

Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 PM
4wd High

That's a beautiful GTO. Here's mine... it's a 2+2, which they continued in Canada for 69-70 after the nameplate was discontinued in the US. Like all the Canadian full size Pontiacs of that era, it's actually built on an Impala chassis "rebranded" with Pontiac-style sheetmetal.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-100_0403.jpg   Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-100_0404.jpg   Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-engine.jpg   Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-100_0408.jpg   Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?-100_0418.jpg  

Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

keyless entry works by pressing the button and having it in your pocket. its designed to keep people out when necessary.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?