Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0705 stuck in 3rd gear - Safe to Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P0705 stuck in 3rd gear - Safe to Drive?

Hello all-

I bought a 2003 Discovery about a month ago and have been fixing lots of things. A new problem started tonight- the green "M" light is flashing on the dash and the "D" gear position is flashing as well. I pulled a P0705 code- transmission range sensor A circuit. I cleared the code and restarted but it immediately came back again.

I have been reading the threads and the first thing to check is battery voltage. i have 12.5V when truck is off and 14.2V running at idle. Truck starts and runs good, but maybe I will put it on the charger tomorrow and see if that helps.

Another thing is the XYZ switch? Or as I call it gearshift position switch. I will pull that and inspect it. Otherwise I have been driving it every day to work and it is starting good and running good.

By the way I have also been getting codes P1171 and P1174 occasionally- compensating for a lean mixture. This doesn't bug me too bad- sounds like a vacuum leak or MAF sensor.

Is it safe to drive in this limp mode 3rd gear? I would think it would be hard on the transmission taking off from a stop.

Thanks for any help- this forum is GREAT!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Please double-check your code. P0705 in my copy of RAVE is Gear Position Switch, which is indeed the XYZ. I don't see any trans code labeled what you wrote.

A lot of people seem to jump to a conclusion that any trans problem (M&S flashing) that's not solved by confirming the electrical system is sound is caused by the XYZ. In your case it appears that's in fact the case.

There is a lot of info on this and other forums about replacing or rebuilding the XYZ. Let us know how we can help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Transmission fault codes.pdf (30.0 KB, 694 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i drove my truck in just 3 for about a month without negative out come, other than milage

Old 12-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
Please double-check your code. P0705 in my copy of RAVE is Gear Position Switch, which is indeed the XYZ. I don't see any trans code labeled what you wrote.

A lot of people seem to jump to a conclusion that any trans problem (M&S flashing) that's not solved by confirming the electrical system is sound is caused by the XYZ. In your case it appears that's in fact the case.

There is a lot of info on this and other forums about replacing or rebuilding the XYZ. Let us know how we can help.
Yes gear position switch is correct- thanks for the link. I have the RAVE manual on my computer but it is over 1000 pages and takes me a long time to find stuff. Of course it wouldn't act up this morning, but after I got to work I played with the shifter going back and forth between park and all the gears. Sure enough after a while the green M starting blinking. I will take off the gear position switch this weekend and open it up and have a look. I will take some pictures and let you all know what I find.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
i drove my truck in just 3 for about a month without negative out come, other than milage
OK good to know. I probably won't drive it much until it's fixed but nice to know it won't blow up.