Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1590 Three Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1590 Three Amigos

Hi all, just wanted to share a Three Amigos experience and possibly a learned lesson.

I was coming downhill on a steep, rocky trail in low range. Not wanting to ride my brakes, I shifted from second into first. There was a perceptable "slip" and, as first gear caught, the Three Amigos blinked on.

After a little research on this here forum, I cleaned out the brake dust that had accumulated on the wheels and took Grover the Land Rover in to Midas to see if they could clear the codes. They returned a 1590 Rough Road error message but couldn't clear the code and still charged me $89.00. Lesson learned: forget Midas and go straight to the big guns to deal with the Three Amigos.

So I just got back from the Anchorage Land Rover dealership to get a diagnosis. Their diagnosis was the "right rear sensor is having an intermittent fault." But because I was pretty sure there is nothing really wrong with the sensors having pin pointed the moment the Three Amigos appeared, they reset the code and let me out for free.

Super thanks to Wallace over at Anchorage Land Rover and thanks for the guidance on the forum. Biggest lesson to learn, though, is bring the vehicle to a real slow speed before shifting into first while going downhill.

At least I'm hoping. Because I don't want to have to replace the sensor.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are lucky to have a positive experience at the dealer...normally stories like that are the exact opposite.

Did the dealer give you a quote to "fix" the "problem"? Just curious

Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer "Fix"

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
You are lucky to have a positive experience at the dealer...normally stories like that are the exact opposite.

Did the dealer give you a quote to "fix" the "problem"? Just curious

They did. It would be $639 to replace the wheel sensor. I saw the discussion elsewhere about whether replacing the sensor is a DIY job. I'm with the group that says it is. But since the shop manual doesn't believe it can be done, there is no step by step.

Can anyone that has done this on a Disco II offer up some step by steps?