Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Brush Guard and Flares

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Brush Guard and Flares

Hello everyone,
I just bought a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II and am looking for the best type of paint/bed-liner to paint the bumper, flares, and brush guard. I saw some people recommended Rustoleum bed liner and others said Dupli-Color bumper paint. I am looking for something that will work on all three of these surfaces.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Everyone has their own choice of flavor for such things, pretty sure the majority goes plain rattle can black or bed liner. I use stone texture paint, black lacquer , and pro rubberized undercoat. Long long lasting performance.
Some say black shoe polish every 6 months is great. Good luck finding a consensus.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truck looks great Caymandrew- What type of roof basket is that?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Winching

One of these:

New Universal Roof Rack Cargo Car Top Luggage Carrier Basket Cartop RB Compacto | eBay

Not only is it cheap but I was able to modify the hardware that came with to make it work on the existing rails. The in laws live in a condo building with a parking garage so I need to keep the truck under 7' - With that basket and the led bar I'm ay 6.9'

Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM
4wd Low

Bumpers, flares, brush guard, and frame, I used this:

Rust-Oleum Automotive 15 oz. Rubberized Undercoating Black Spray Paint-248657 at The Home Depot
Did you remove your flares when you applied that paint or did you just tape everything off?

You mentioned you painted your frame - you mean the chassis frame underneath? I've got some surface rust on mine I'm looking to mitigate and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this rust-oleum product.

Last question - when removing the flares, are there any fasteners or is just a double sided tape?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Winching

Don't remove the flares, just tape them off, sand, paint. Follow this thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...roperly-32736/

And yes, the chassis, I too had some surface rust. I just used a wire brush to clean it off and painted with this. So far so good.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by caymandrew
One of these:

New Universal Roof Rack Cargo Car Top Luggage Carrier Basket Cartop RB Compacto | eBay

Not only is it cheap but I was able to modify the hardware that came with to make it work on the existing rails. The in laws live in a condo building with a parking garage so I need to keep the truck under 7' - With that basket and the led bar I'm ay 6.9'

May I ask what LED bar that is?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I like the look of the under coating. What kind of texture does it leave and how durable is it? I am looking for something that won't fade or peel on the different surfaces.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by caymandrew
One of these:

Interesting What did you use to mount on rails?

Quick Reply: Paint Brush Guard and Flares