Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PANCHOs 94 DISCO

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PANCHOs 94 DISCO

In have created this thread in order to keep questions relevent to my Discovery in some semblance of order, and because I am somewhat of a Forum Junkie, its nice to have things in one spot when I need to refer to the Forums on my iPhone..
For you experianced members out there, please check this thread when it Pops up and offer me some of your "Sage Advice"

My Disco is a 1994 V8 46,000 miles and counting.
I am the Second Owner

I am in the "Process of Procuring" the List given to my by DiscoMike..

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I question the mileage, way to low for that old of a truck.
You have alot of work to do on this truck before you use it much in the form of fluids and things.
Not know what has been doneand when, plan on doing all this list, if you need help or have question get back to me and I will walk you thru it.
Good luck with the new truck.
Mike
This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service or a high mileage used truck, the way I do it.
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1- 301
1 Air filter
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W synthetic gear oil, 85W/140 for HD use
3 Pints of synthetic Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant, also called Dexcool
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.
I guess I am going to go with the 85w/140 Syn Gear Oil as I cannot find the 80w/90 (only 75w/90) and I dont suppose Heavy Duty has much of a downside, especially if it will keep things quiet.

Favorites anyone... Castrol/Royal Purple/Lucas ???

I was going to ask about wires.. 7mm 8mm or 8.5 mm and then noticed Mike specified 8mm
Took a SS and everything.. Ill go ahead and post the Image for my own Refrence anyway..

Name:  MagnacoreSS.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  235.4 KB

What about Cap and Rotor.. any specific manufacturer I should be looking for???

Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PANCHOs 94 DISCO

Go with 8mm Magnecors. As for oil everyone has their own favorites so availability is usually a key to deciding. I really like Royal Purple and in Alaska had a dealer that had or would get me anything that RP made. Now that I am in Colorado I have a harder time finding a dealer for the whole RP line. Currently I am using Mobil 1 in both my vehicles because it was readily available and is quality synthetic oil. 85w140 will work just fine in your differentials and transfer case.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Call Tony at the LRRF, 650-365-4145, he has one of the better prices on the 8mm Magnacor wires, 8.5's are over kill.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 8.5 mm wires will not fit in your factory wire holders either.
Any major brand of gear lube will be just fine. Like AK said, just make sure that it is readaly avaliable.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Sorry, Land Rover cap and rotor only, any other and it will fail in a short time.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Winching

After hitting most parts stores on my side of town I finally have the 7 quarts of needed Gear Oil.. (Royal Purple)

Any last minute advice on changing the oil in the T-Case.. I am about to look at the PDF because I cannot figure where the Filler for the T-Case is..

Old 01-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

The fill plug is on the back of the t-case next to the parking brake drum.
You will need to use a 1/2" racket with a 3" extenstion, no socket, just stick the extention into the plug.
DO NOT STRIP IT!! When you put it back in, the t-case is aluminum.
You will want a fluid hand pump, any kind will work.
Run the fron of the truck up on jack stands, drain the t-case.
Lower the front and jack up the rear, fill the t-case until gear lube comes out of the fill hole.
Do the front diff while the front of the truck is in the air, do the rear diff when the rear is in the air.
When you are all said and done take one empty gear lube bottle, stick a funnel in it and then turn another empty bottle upside down in the funnel, let it drain overnight, repeat until all of the bottle are not empty.
You will recup almost a quart of lube.
Do the same with your motor oil bottles and tranny fluid bottles as well.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the diffs have drain plugs or do you have to remove the covers to drain them?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They have drain plugs.

Only 46,000 miles in 14 years, wow! If your as meticulous as you appear to be, that thing must be immaculate. Care to post some pics?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Winching

Ok..

That didnt take long...
3 hrs including a trip to the Parts Store

I found the Transfer Case Drain Plug Came loose with only the 1/2 inch Drive Ratchet, no room for an extension between the drain plug and the Parking Brake Drum. I did have to loosen the drain plug some, then remove the ratchet before it closed the distance to the Drum and trapped the ratchet in there. Gently loosened the rest of the way with a pair of curved Vice Grips careful not to damage the threads.

The oil that came out of all three was still golden.
And despite having driven at least 30 miles this morning to find the oil the fluids in the diffs were still cool, and the fluid in the T-Case was just barely warm.

The rinky dink floor jack that I used for my 68 Datsun had a difficult time with the Disco, I take it its considerably heavier.. so I did fill the diffs and T-case with the vehicle Level... Doing this I used 6.5 quarts of fluid. Approximately 2.5 in the T-Case and 2 in the front and rear Diff.

SPIKE by filling them on an incline, am I guaranteed to get those legendary Land Rover Leaks?? [8D]
Or is filling them while vehicle level acceptable??

I highly recomend following Spikes Advice and finding a Hand Pump of some sort..
I could not find one at the closest Auto Parts store so I made due with a simple device shown below..
The front was easy as you can elevate the bottle above the diff, but for the rear and the T-Case the best you can do is get the bottle about even with the fill plug.. so you squeeze out about half of the bottle, then open a new bottle squeeze half out of it, combine the two, squeeze half out of it.. ect, ect..

I used Royal Purple 75W/145 as I could not find any Synthetic oil with the most viscous weight above 75.
Although the T-Case and both diffs were full before changing, the Royal Purple seems to have quieted the the T-Case somewhat.
I wouldnt say it was loud to begin with, more like a faint whine that let you know you are in a full time 4x4. The whine is still there, yet now it is less noticable.

Name:  1230844489.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  84.4 KB

For my refrence
Transfer Case Serial # is
28D31168E