Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park distance control problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park distance control problems

I'm trying to determine the best way to figure out why there is no sound coming from my park distance control. When I put it in reverse I see the light blinking on the control button,but there is no sound. The sensors are not really dirty,so I don't think it's that. I can't find anything for a disco II. Has anybody seen this before or fixed this problem. Any help would be appreciated!
2004 discovery II se7 56000 miles

Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE covers this in circuits diagrams, electrical library, and workshop manual. While I don't have one, I found this:

The PDC ECU has no diagnostic connection to enable faults to be retrieved using TestBook/T4. An on-board diagnostic routine monitors the system and alerts the driver to a system fault by emitting a tone from the sounder. If a PDC system fault has occurred, the sounder will emit a continuous tone for 3 seconds and the PDC switch LED will flash continuously when reverse gear is selected.

Speaker could be un-plugged.

The switch with the light is designed to disable the system if you don't need it like when towing a trailer. May have to cycle the switch a few times, check fuses 16, 25, 26 inside the truck. See attached pages from electrical. The RAVE has a good write up on it, and color photos of locations of connectors, etc.

If you don't have the RAVE set of manuals, free link in my signature. You'll find color wiring diagram in circuits manual, text description of wiring and hotos of every connector and pin outs in Electrical library, and Workshop manual has a full work up for the technicians on it (in Driving Aids).

It is far cheaper to read up the factory info, check all the fuses, and exchange thoughts on this forum - than leave car at dealer for diagnostic. They can't plug in the computer to this module, and the younger techs who don't have the diagnostic skills of the more seasoned fellows turn into partz swapperz, at you expense of course.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 pdc.pdf (1,014.9 KB, 950 views)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 PM
3rd Gear
Default thanks Savannah

Thank you so much for the great advice. this gives me a place to start! i'll check back in once i've found the problem

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

So, I downloaded and reviewed all of the manuals...thank you for that!! very helpful for all of my future DISCO adventures!!
I tried this weekend to figure out the Park distance control problem. I checked the fuses you mentioned...no burnt ones. I checked all the wiring and connections under the truck..no corroded wires or disconnects. I pulled out the speaker and disassembled it, but it wasn't torn,corroded or otherwise messed up. the button on the dash constantly flashes when in reverse. I read that the sensors are looped electrically, like christmas lights. think I should buy one and start switching them out? or buy a new speaker?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: read that the sensors are looped electrically, like christmas lights

Well, not sure about that as each one shows a separate input to the PDC ECU on the wiring diagram. It also shows that the PDC ECU is the source of the sound for the speaker. A speaker can be tested with a small flashlight battery or ohm meter, putting a small voltage through the speaker coil will cause it to move, make a click, etc. If PDC ECU is not sending out noise, and flashing the light, it may be the PDC EDU is the problem.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM
2nd Gear
Default flashing button light

hi all,

i am having problems with my pdc system too. i press the button, but the car in reverse and hear no beeping noise. the button flashes for a while, then gives a constant light before going out.

i have a load of new fuses and i plan to change them out if required and im about to have a look at the sensors for loose connections.

has anybody got any other ideas? if my ecu transmitting an error via the blinking switch lights?

any help will massively be appreciated,

kind regards

james

Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

no fuse problems, and all of the connections to the sensors are secure and in place.

ive just ordered a multimeter. how do i test my parking sensors to see if any of them have a fault? im hoping one is broken and therefore the system isn't working?

also, because my speaker isn't making any noise, how can i test that? And not to sound completely hopeless, how do i remove wiring plugs? all electrical connections on my landy are ridiculously tight i haven't noticed an 'catch' holding them in place.

kind regards

james

Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Drifting
Default I think its the speaker

I have the same problem. I replaced the fusable link and nothing changed. I spoke with my mechanic and he said that the speakers go out and fault the system. He says that the speaker has a specific resistance to it so you have to replace with the same speaker. I haven't been able to find one though. If anyone can find one please let me know. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If the pdc sensors are anything like the ones on a bmw there is a simple way of testing the majority of the system. If the system is activated you can go put your ear up against each pdc sensor and they should emit a quiet ticking/clicking noise. If a pdc sensor is not ticking or clicking when you have your ear up to it the sensor is either broken or has a bad connection. If all sensors are not ticking or clicking it's likely there is something wrong with the pdc computer rather then the pdc sensors.

Now back to the sensors, if one sensor or more is not clicking or ticking the system will disable itself from emitting a noise in te cab to advise you of obstacles however it will still permit the working sensors to tick and click.

Hope that helps

Old 12-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I just had the same problem with my pdc. The little horn faded out and would not work after a while. I bought a new pdc horn from rovers north and installed it. Problem solved. Based on my experience, the flashing indicates there is a connectivity issue. This seems to include that the horn itself does not sound. I physically inspected all the connections into the bumper and the fuses. I decided to take a stab and bought the pdc horn.

Quick Reply: Park distance control problems