Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Changed, Still Showing Codes? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

check your wire looms for tears in the insulation. this could be causing random ground outs. i had this issue with the CKPS and Camshaft Position sensor. turned out the wires had come loose and rested against the exhaust manifold and melted a bit. fixed this and my misfire and other codes went away.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Replace your fuel purge valve with the Hyundai brand one
perform a smoke test on your intake for vacuum leaks
do the pcv oil separator mod

Old 07-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Replace your fuel purge valve with the Hyundai brand one
perform a smoke test on your intake for vacuum leaks
do the pcv oil separator mod
Thanks Redwhitekat. Can anyone point me to how to perform the cigar smoke test? I found this: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-cigar-54235/ but the original poster deleted all his work. I wonder why he did that? Any way, I didn't see another how-to post.

I will the PVC oil separator mod next.

Thanks!

-Burwell

Old 07-31-2019, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jastutte
check your wire looms for tears in the insulation. this could be causing random ground outs. i had this issue with the CKPS and Camshaft Position sensor. turned out the wires had come loose and rested against the exhaust manifold and melted a bit. fixed this and my misfire and other codes went away.
Thanks Jastutte. I will go over the harnesses this afternoon, CSI-style will a flashlight and up close.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling

I checked the wiring harness yesterday (7/31) and didn't find any tears, melted areas or bare wires. I will clean the connectors at the MAF today.

The purge valve will be in this weekend and I will get it swapped.

Does anyone have a link to a how-to or can describe how the smoke test is performed?

Old 08-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

To the OP, can you view live data? The different reading from the O2 sensors and MAF? Do they correspond with throttle input or just stay at a constant reading at all times? Looks like the ecu isn’t adapting anything from the codes that continue to arise.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
To the OP, can you view live data? The different reading from the O2 sensors and MAF? Do they correspond with throttle input or just stay at a constant reading at all times? Looks like the ecu isn’t adapting anything from the codes that continue to arise.
Yes, I can view the readings live. I will post screen shots. However, I will be ut of town until Sunday, but will post them when I return. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Just thinking out loud but I've never seen codes refer to drive cycles. Could OP be reading readiness not actual codes?

The top of his screen of codes also says lr3 lr4 not discovery. Is that normal for the device he's using

Last edited by Ben Matheson; 08-01-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
Just thinking out loud but I've never seen codes refer to drive cycles. Could OP be reading readiness not actual codes?

The top of his screen of codes also says lr3 lr4 not discovery. Is that normal for the device he's using
Great eye there Ben. Also doesn’t show the code “state” hard fault/intermittent. But does say the ecu(motronic 5.2.1) but also shows Lr3/4

Old 08-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
Great eye there Ben. Also doesn’t show the code “state” hard fault/intermittent. But does say the ecu(motronic 5.2.1) but also shows Lr3/4

Update 8/5

Thanks Ben and Nosugar0carbs. When I go into my iLand ap on my phone, the first tile in the upper left hand corner is the Discovery | LR3 | LR4 tile - which also the only vehicle diagnosis ap I bought. Once that tile is selected, it goes into a dropdown sort of menu where one selects: Discovery, Discovery II, Lr3 or LR4. I am selecting the Discovery II option.

I think what you are seeing at the top of my screen shot is just the acknowledgement that I am in that section, but I am selecting the Discovery II.

I wasn't able to drive the 2004 Discovery 2 yesterday due to the weather, so, I couldn't get live data charts to post here yet. Also, the new purge valve is coming in today and I will get that installed.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by bjordan; 08-05-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Parts Changed, Still Showing Codes? Help!